The use of Melatonin as a complementary therapy?

May2

Hi, I came across this article about the use of melatonin for cancer, especially for NSCLC. 

Sorry it is a very long article, feel free to skip the first a few paragraphs.  

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts, or experience with this. 

https://cancerci.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12935-019-0853-7

Hi May,

I have had 3 unrelated cancers--the third one was NSLSC Stage 1a.  On the recommendation of my naturopath, I've been taking melatonin at a dose of 20mg at bedtime. I can't remember whether I started taking this after diagnosed with my first cancer (breast) stage 1 or my second (endometrial/cervical) stage 3). In any event, I haven't had any recurrences  and am NED on all of these. I don't know if melatonin helped,but I figured it probably wouldn't hurt, and it's not expensive, which are two of my criteria for using complementary medicines. 

I did reduce my dose to 10 mg recently, because I started having vivid (and usually unpleasant) dreams, which my naturopath said could be caused by melatonin. I don't know whether it was the melatonin or anxiety from the pandemic that was causing these, maybe both. I'll probably go back up to 20 at some point.

Bridget O

What an interesting theory. I have Stage IIIB NSCLC (EGFR mutation) and have been through radiation and chemo and am now on Tagrisso. I also take 10 MG of melatonin at bedtime for sleep. It can't hurt and it's inexpensive. Good to know about this emerging theory! 

19 hours ago, BridgetO said:

Hi May,

I have had 3 unrelated cancers--the third one was NSLSC Stage 1a.  On the recommendation of my naturopath, I've been taking melatonin at a dose of 20mg at bedtime. I can't remember whether I started taking this after diagnosed with my first cancer (breast) stage 1 or my second (endometrial/cervical) stage 3). In any event, I haven't had any recurrences  and am NED on all of these. I don't know if melatonin helped,but I figured it probably wouldn't hurt, and it's not expensive, which are two of my criteria for using complementary medicines. 

I did reduce my dose to 10 mg recently, because I started having vivid (and usually unpleasant) dreams, which my naturopath said could be caused by melatonin. I don't know whether it was the melatonin or anxiety from the pandemic that was causing these, maybe both. I'll probably go back up to 20 at some point.

Bridget O

I am so happy to know your cancers are all under control.  
was your Oncologist supportive of Melatonin? Did it effect your labs in any way? 
I have NSCLC stage 4 btw. 
RET mutation.  I am currently on Retevmo. 

I didn't review my supplements (including melatonin, with my oncologist.  I did review them with the chemo pharmacist, who had no objection to melatonin. Neither did my thoracic surgeon.

May2, my oncology nurse practitioner is the one who recommended melatonin when I told her I was having trouble sleeping. It seems to work for me and doesn't interact with Tagrisso. 

I'm doing great on Tagrisso, May. Feeling good, scans are improving and no side effects. I did have to get an EKG and echocardiogram before I could start taking it but I don't have any cardiac issues that could be aggravated by the Tagrisso. 

Archived