Off to surgery!

Lisa Haines

Didn't have a good night...

Low grade fever and my BP is very low, so I'm stuck here another day.

Doing well getting up and walking, but pain is up there and the beds are horrible, hard as a rock and now my back is killing.

Hoping tonight will be better. Thank you all for the well wishes.

Lisa sorry to hear you are having pain. Maybe you can ask for pain pills. I assume you are sill on IV where they can inject some happy med.

I hope you have a restful night and go home tomorrow. No bed is better than the one at home.

Aw, I'm sorry, Lisa. Hope you can get some good rest soon. I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night, myself, due to my shoulder pain from the fall. It's slowly improving, but still more slowly than I'd like.

Lisa, there are other very effective pain meds they can give you. Just tell them your pain level is at least an 8.

I also had low BP after surgery. It should resolve itself. They may have to give you IV fluids to plump up your blood vessels. 

Here's hoping you start feeling better soon. 

Update 

I came home yesterday and it's okay, still hard to sleep in amy position.  Finally ended up in the recliner.

My BP was up some today when Nursing came.  I also had PT and they'll be back.  Nursing won't except to remove my staples 10 days out, unless i have any problems.  The surgical site looks great.

Pain is hard and the Oxycodone is not super effective. But I'm now adding Tylenol.  Makes me nauseous too...yuk!  I truly do not like pain meds?

But. This too shall pass. Thank you for the kind thoughts 

Lisa,

I had trouble with oxycodone. It really didn't work for me and gave me an itching sensation. My doc changed me to Tramadol HCL and it does give me relief without itching. I use it occasionally and also include a laxative to eliminate the follow-on elimination problem!

I don't like pain meds either but sometimes I need them when my chronic pain spikes.

Stay the course.

Tom

Oxycodone makes me throw up every time--same with any opioid. The only time it doesn't is if my pain level is high enough that that's ALL it is doing. Percocet I can take, but other than that, I do much better when I can cope with  ibuprofen.

Lisa,

Sorry to hear you are in such pain.  Oxycodone does little for my pain and makes me not feel good, just in a general sense.  After my lobectomy the docs used Oxycodone and then (after I complained) switched me to 600mg advil/1000mg tylenol and it worked like a charm.  It also allowed me to have a clear head which helped me to get up and around more.  Perhaps they can do something like that for you.  I hope that you see improvement soon.

Lou

Lisa, I can't tolerate pain meds either, and now I can't even tolerate Advil anymore. During my esophagitis suffering, I did have good success with methadone, which was then switched to a Fentanyl patch after I went on Tagrisso. You'll need a pain management doctor for those meds. Let your nurse know if your pain continues for too long. 

Hope you are feeling better soon. 

On 9/20/2020 at 5:29 PM, Judy M2 said:

Lisa, I can't tolerate pain meds either, and now I can't even tolerate Advil anymore. During my esophagitis suffering, I did have good success with methadone, which was then switched to a Fentanyl patch after I went on Tagrisso. You'll need a pain management doctor for those meds. Let your nurse know if your pain continues for too long. 

Hope you are feeling better soon. 

I'm already on a pain patches and have been for several years because of the fibromyalgia and degenerative disc disease and they came from my palliative care team.  However that's not effective when you have to go through surgery and I've tried to express this to people many times. As it turns out Oxycodone is nothing but percocet without the Tylenol and it's already noted in my chart that I can't tolerate it.  I have no idea why they gave it to me they have now changed to me to Hydrocdone known as Vicodin and that's a little more tolerable by not overly effective. Yesterday I ended up having to go to the hospital to have an ultrasound rule out a DVT but it took several hours and calls to the surgeons before they called me or the physical therapist back to set it up by the time that was done it was too late to go to my local hospital and we ended up having to make a longer drive to the only hospital that head ultrasound open.   We do not live in an area that has hospitals fully staffed 247 in all departments so this is not unusual but makes it complicated.  What a pain the butt needless to say it's frustrating and they now think I'm having muscle spasms and an acute fibromyalgia flare but on the upside there is no sign of any clot. Tomorrow PT will be back to the start gentle massage to try and alleviate some of these muscle spasms at this point I'm almost out of pain meds because I have 30 oxycodone to be tossed and they are useless to me and they only gave me a few by get them when they switch me they are so overcautious with pain meds now which I get to a degree but not for those who truly need it or not for those Oxycodone chronic pain conditions or cancer patients.

Unfortunately when you have Fibromyalgia and you go through surgery it's not unusual for it to put your body into a severe flare and that itself causes intense all over body pain which obviously none of these meds are going to help at this point. I'm taking it one day at a time in hoping tomorrow will be a better day. Relentless pain is really difficult and makes healing even that much harder. Thanks for all the wishes take care and be well.

This  Is a great reason why I put this surgery off for so long I knew it going to be difficult and a challenge to control the pain.  I'm m just glad it's halfway through the worst part now.   What's really sad is that I explained all this to them well in advance and that my greatest fear was them not being able to properly manage the pain just like before yet here we go again.😡

Archived