Well $!&@

MyWifeSCLC

We met with Onc today to discuss chest CT and brain MRI from last week taken 2 months since last scan.

The good news is that the primary tumor shrunk just a tad more and there were no brain mets. The $!&@@% news is that her cancer has metastasized to her liver (lesions).

Unfortunately, this news was given to us in the hospital. My wife has fallen 5 times in the last 2 weeks and I decided to get her to hospital yesterday in case something else was going on. Some anemia and generally poor condition due to being sedentary seems to be the issue and not the liver lesions.

Onc says my wife is not in condition to receive further treatment and suggested hospice. I guess we are kinda in shock ... again ... I pushed back a little and her Onc suggested we take a week to see if she could improve her health and he would re-evaluate next week. I doubt that her health will improve enough in a week and I suspect he did this to give us time to let the news sink in.

I'm still waiting on Dr. Lovly's office to call for a second opinion. Although I suspect that her opinion may be the same. My wifes Onc explained very well about treatment with folks in poor health.

I didn't think to ask how long she has but I'm sure this will be covered next week.

Steve

P.S. I asked about zapping the liver lesions with SBRT or proton therapy and he was strongly opposed to this.

Ah yes pet my heart goes out to you both I hope yous both cuddle in close as nothing can beat the power of a couple standing together close in love what ever yous face I am thinking of yous and hope that yousget the best of help and care and that your life that’s you have had together will face the future with hope strength and positivity as I now have to face with my gorgeous husband of 47 years I’m stage 4 untreatable terminal but still alive at this time I have had no treatment for 12 month I was taken off immunotherapy as it caused more damage than good  but what can I say we are all different I’m still hoping as you should . I don’t know how long I have I don’t need to know but I do know that I’m not going to go until it nothing I can do about it keep strong and just loss yourselfs in lovexxxx

Oh Steve, my heart is breaking for both of you.  Our love, prayers and support in the upcoming days.  Dr Lovly is such a wonderful doctor, you are doing everything you can.   Take care of yourself as best you can, lean on us here.    Hugs. 

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Dr. Lovly is great and I hope you get a call soon. 

If you do end up choosing the hospice route, there are some good and some not so good hospice companies. Sometimes people improve with hospice care even if further treatment isn't an option. Hospice will also provide palliative care to make your wife comfortable. They will come to her on a regular basis for all kinds of needs. 

Take care. 

Small cell, even if caught at the limited stage is a beast.  I am so sorry.  Just from my experience Steve, and nothing else as I do not possess a medical degree, the 1st line chemo combo was meant to kill that lung tumor.  Although it has shrunk, it is bothersome to me that it is still there and that now she is showing liver lesions. Can't zap them, so further chemo is the only treatment option.  Then, even if she could do further treatment and it knocks it all back again, it will eventually get to the brain.  In my opinion, with small cell, when that happens it's game over.  I wouldn't want to speculate how long that will take, but I stop in here once in a while to see how you and your dear wife are faring.  Hard decision coming up, my very best wishes to you both.  Cherish each and everyday with her!  I know you will.

Diane

PS-As previously posted, should you go the hospice route, I agree, they are not all the same.  I'm confident you will choose a good one to fit both your needs.

Oh, man, Steve, I'm so sorry to hear this. You have been such a fierce advocate for your wife. She is fortunate to have you--and you, her, evidently--your love for her is quite apparent.

I hope you are able to come to a decision with which you can be at peace. And also that, when/if you choose hospice, you connect with the very best. I've heard from many families how helpful hospice care was for end-of-life care and how much it helped everyone--the family as well as the patient.

Incidentally, I typed this a few hours ago. Apparently I navigated away and never hit "submit."

Steve, I know how much you have done to help and advocate for your wife and how much she has gone through. It's hard for me to hear this bad and sad news and I'm sure it must be devastating for the two of you.  I wish peace, comfort and love for you both during whatever time she has left.

Bridget O

Steve: your post brings up some sad memories so I really sympathize with you. My first wife died of colon cancer and I remember vividly when the oncologist told me that he is discontinuing treatment.  I was devastated.  Please know that I will be willing to help if you need help with my experience going forward. I  will also be thinking and praying for a good outcome.

All the best

GaryG 

Hi Steve. I’m so sorry to read your devastating news. It is incredibly difficult to hear the word “hospice” when it relates to options in treatment & care. I hope if you decide to pursue hospice care for your wife that they are as an invaluable resource for you as they were for me while I was caring for my Mom.  I pray for peace and strength for you both.

Steve,

I understand how you feel.  I had to accept some tough truths about my wife's condition and then lost her to memory care.  I don't know how to console you accept to let you know that both you and your wife are in my prayers and I hope that you can find some peace at this terrible time.

Lou

Archived