Pet Scan results-Not what I hoped for

Claudia

Hi Everyone, So I had the appointment with the thoracic surgeon today. I will be taking a pulmonary function test and if the numbers come out good he is willing to do the surgery. He said that he will probably have to do a lobectomy depending on what he finds. He would like to leave as much lung behind as possible but also wants to be sure he gets it all. He is going to start laparoscopic and if it is worse than he thought he will go in through my back. I am very happy to be a candidate for surgery (especially starting out as a stage IV patient) but can't help but wonder how bad this is going to be. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this procedure so I know kind of what to expect. One thing I do know is that once I have this operation done I will be NED and that's all I have ever wanted since my diagnosis. Thanks in advance for any comments you might have about this. Peace, light and great scans to all. Claudia

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Claudia,

I'm glad to hear that you will be getting your surgery.  I wrote an article on having a lobectomy that may not answer all your questions, but can give you some tips and tricks to get through the surgery and you can find it here.  I'm happy to answer other questions you may have.

Lou

Hi Claudia, I agree with Tom that this will be a piece of cake compared to what you've been through. I hope they can do the VATs (laparoscopic). I had a lobectomy by VATS and it was pretty easy as far as surgeries go. I was walking around the unit the day of the surgery and discharged the following day. And I'm no spring chicken, either. More like a tough old bird.

I recommend Lou's article about lobectomy tips and tricks. If you have any questions about lobectomy, I'll be happy to answer, if I can.

I really hope they can do this surgery for you!

Bridget O

Yay!! This is great news! 

As I understand it, ALL planned VATS surgeries are subject to change. My surgeon said sometimes they encounter things, like uncontrolled bleeding, that requires them to act FAST and not "pretty"--so it's always "if things go the way we hope." The surgeons always need to be ready to switch gears if necessary, and they don't want you to be shocked if that happens, so it's all explained going in. Hopefully you will have the simple, uneventful VATS. I'm tellin' ya--my C-section hurt worse, and longer, than the lobectomy!

Great news, Claudia!

I can give a quick share of my mom's lobectomy to hopefully ease your mind of the upcoming procedure.  My mom's surgery was old school - the option that you MIGHT have to have.  Even having the more invasive surgery, my mom feels that it was a walk in the park compared to her other treatments.  She was in the hospital for 10 days, but most people aren't there that long.  She had some complications due to docs taking the drain tube out too quickly which resulted in her increased stay.  She had 1 bad night where she took a couple of shots of morphine, but that was about it.  She was up and walking in 2-3 days and felt better than she had for awhile.  Her incisions were under her armpit, so she had to find bras that wouldn't irritate the area and had some nerve pain in her scapula that could be controlled with tylenol.  Afterward, we both felt kind of silly about how worried we were prior to the surgery!

Hope this eases your mind a bit.

Take Care,

Steff

I have no knowledge of surgery except my husband's wedge resection done the 'old-fashioned way' in 1990 (BIG incision) and even that was better than chemo!

Best wishes for an easy VATS procedure!

Susan 

OMG!! I just got the call. The operation will be on November 4 at 8:00 AM. I am happy and petrified all at the same time. I just wish that my husband could be there with me but he’s not allowed in the hospital so I’ll have to do it alone. I’m on the road to NED. Wish me luck!!  Peace, light and great scans to all. Claudia

Good luck Claudia! Hope you breeze through surgery on your way to NED! 

P. S. The emergency abdominal surgery I had in February was painful, brutal and life-saving and took months of recovery. Your upcoming surgery doesn't sound as invasive, thank goodness. 

Fantastic! Trust me, there's no need to be petrified. Nervous, yes, a little scared, but seriously, this is nothing to be petrified about. On the scale of scary medical procedures this one is pretty far down the list. You're gonna be just fine.

11 minutes ago, LouT said:

You'll ace this surgery.  Please take a look at the tips I sent you.  They can help aid in your recovery.

Lou

I read the tips that you wrote and they were very helpful. Thank you Lou. I would like to thank everyone for the encouragement and uplifting words. I am so happy that I found these forums with the most wonderful and understanding people in the whole world. I'll keep you all updated as things happen. I'm thinking I'll be all alone in the hospital so I'll be here reading and hopefully helping others to have hope. I know what it feels like to have no hope and how things can change in an instant. I'll be NED. I can't believe it. 

17 hours ago, Tom Galli said:

Claudia,

Easypeasy piece of pie. You'll be up in the blink of an eye!

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom, you are the best. I love this. It put a smile on my face this morning. Thank you posting this. 

Keep positive Claudia; it seems that there are so many options. It seems like if one thing doesn't work or stops working, they try something else. My mum might be switching to a different immunotherapy drug as she's having too many side effects on imfinizi or durvalumab. The doctors have told her that they have a solution for any problem which is reassuring to hear. There's so many advances and so many medications. Same goes for other conditions. I take anti depressants and there are so many different types- hundreds! I tried a few and they didn't agree with me until I found a one that's right for me. 

Keep fighting and I'll be praying that you'll have a good response xx 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that I had my surgery Wednesday morning. Dr first removed my whole left upper lobe. He also took some lymph nodes which will get tested to see if we got it all. My surgeon said it looked good but I won't have the pathology report for a few days. I actually was home by Friday night. I did so well that I blew my doctors and nurses minds. I also blew my own mind. LOL Having some trouble breathing. I'm not taking any narcotic drugs. I realize how lucky I am as a stage IV lung cancer patient and having this surgery. Oh, I want to thank Lou for his amazing post about tips for thoracic surgery. I found it to be so very helpful. Thank you all for your kind words and wonderful ideas. I know I have a long way to go but it's only gonna get better from here. I kicked the surgery's *ss and was home in 3 days. Go me. Go you. Thank you all.  Peace light and great scans to all. Claudia

WTG Claudia and congratulations on a successive surgery. Let's hope they got it all. You are quite the fighter. Have a successful recovery. I will be rooting for you all the way. We are lucky to have Lou onboard with his vast experience. 

Archived