Starting chemo and Immunotherapy tomorrow

JamesB

Had a surprise colonoscopy yesterday.I got the letter the day I was supposed to do the week without nuts and seeds. Very happy as the PET scan had showed a spot in my colon.I watched the whole thing on the monitor.Doctor said it was a benign polyp and another doc came in and confirmed it.Was on the large side so they weren't equipped to take it out yesterday but will in a few months. 

The drugs I am taking are Pembrollzumab-Karboplatin-Paklitaxel. I hope they do the trick. Don't know if these are Swedish spellings?

Hi, James--yeah, those would be Swedish--substitute "c" for the "k" in the drug names and you get the American spelling.

LOL, as much as I dread colonoscopies (specifically, the prep), I think a "surprise" one would be welcome--less time to dread. Glad yours was ID'd as benign, though it's a shame they couldn't have removed it then & there.

I have a similar triplet, only instead of paclitaxel I have pemetrexed (Alimta). My treatment started yesterday and so far, so good. 

Hi James,

I am on the same drugs as you. Had my 2nd treatment last Friday.  How far are you in your treatments?  I have my first scan October 20th, after my 3rd treatment.  

Babs

Hey Lexicat.Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you continue to do well. Yes it's a shame I have to go through another prep but it's doable.

I got home from first round Babs and so far so good.I trimmed the roses and did some weeding in the garden. Hope it stays this way. I'm not sure when they will do the scan. I hope you are doing well on this.

Thanks!

James

Ok so now I am feeling pretty weird. I worked out yesterday and couldn't really sleep last night. Today I forced myself out and cut the grass in the garden. Have been feeling spacey all day. Got some numbness in my hands and mouth.Granola had no taste this morning. Started getting really bad bone pain in lower legs. Called doc and she sent me some pain pills. It's like I've been smoking bad pot or something.

Doc said it was early to be getting these symptoms. How do you guys get through this? I'm dreading what is to maybe come. I was hoping I would be one who didn't get many symptoms. Not to be a baby but it's kind of scary.

James,

Sleep difficulty I think can be related to steroids. During my chemo, I had to take steroids in pill form throughout the day before infusion. Then, one of the first infusions was another steroid. These made sleep impossible the evening after infusions and made me very hungry. The second day after infusion, I would crash and sleep a lot. My numbness and bone pain didn't set in until day three after infusion and this effected lasted for 2 days. Then I was normal.

Everything tasted "off" for a long time after chemo. My appetite waned and I lost a lot of weight. My wife (a dietitian) intervened; she found mint flavoring was something chemo effected taste buds would respond to and she started churning up chocolate mint ice cream mixed with crushed Oreo mint flavored cookies. That was appetizing. 

My side effects likely differ from what you are experiencing because you are receiving different drugs and everyone responds differently. One aspect of your treatment widely differs from mine; you are receiving immunotherapy concurrent with conventional chemo. I've not had immunotherapy so I have no experience with a triplet. But you should chart their onset in days/hours after infusion because they are likely to repeat in nature and duration in the same sequence for each infusion cycle. Charting allows one to live your life around side effects.

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks so much.I will chart this to know what to expect next time. This pain in the legs and feet is constant,not real severe but just constant aching and cramping. 2 days I can cope with. It's just been such a hell week-This is hell week 3 for me. Had the colonoscopy on Tuesday,Thursday the chemo started,My sister did pass away last Tuesday as well and I had been having a couple of snus and a glass of wine very day for the past 3 weeks.I usually have 2 glasses or so on the weekend,up until the treatment started so I think my body is going though 2 many withdrawals and shocks at once. I know I will get through this and am so grateful to have my partner come over and help take care of me and to have your calming response and experience to reference. You are the best. Thanks!

James

James,

So sorry about your Sister.  Thoughts going out to you in hopes you will get through all of this and will find peace in her passing.  

Babs

Hi James, I'm sorry to hear about your sister. You are really having hell weeks.

I was concerned about your side effect of numbness in your hands and mouth. I wonder if you're getting neuropathy. I had neuropathy start after my first infusion, but I think it's unusual to have it this early in treatment.

I had concurrent chemo/radiation followed by more chemo for a non-lung cancer that I had prior to my NSCLC. The radiation was accompanied by cisplatin, and then I had 3 infusions of carboplatin and taxoterre (docetaxel). The original recommendation was for taxol (paclitaxel) with the carbo, I was concerned because my mom had disabling neuropathy from long term taxol treatment. So taxoterre, a closely related drug that's supposed to be less prone to cause neuropathy, was used instead. I started having numb toes after my first infusion and it increased after each of the subsequent two, traveling up my legs and  causing some pain as well as numbness. This was in 2011. The neuropathy has retreated back to just my toes, but it's still there.  Fortunately it was only 3 infusions.

I suggest you talk to your oncologist about the numbness. I know neuopathy can affect the hands, but I'm not sure about the mouth. Someone else on here may know. Maybe it's something else in your case, but I think it's important to know. I'm not sure if I would have continued with the docetaxel if more infusions had been recommended.  I really can't complain TOO much because here I am alive and NED 9 years later, after a "dire" prognosis.

Hang in there,  I wish you a better week.

Bridget O

Archived