Biopsy done....

SamGirl50

Good morning everyone...

Yesterday I had my needle biopsy. I'm still sore. It wasn't bad at all. I was sedated and I don't remember anything. Now I guess it's just a waiting game. This entire process is so hard. It's just more time for random thoughts of what if's. When I try to come out of my depressed haze and attempt to smile at something funny on t.v. or a random thought, it's like my mind will say "hey! what are doing, you're suppose to be sad". Since the coronavirus hit, I've been working from home so that makes it easier. I don't know how to handle this. Will this be my new norm? Sorry for the ramble but thank goodness you're here! Have a blessed day!!!

You're not "supposed" to be sad! Anything that makes you laugh/smile, grab it. Glad you got the biopsy behind you. It's usually just a few days for the results and once you know that and have a plan for going forward, my bet is that things will start to settle down for you. And things DO tend to settle into a routine--you are not always gonna feel the stress you do right now. For most of us, the stage you're at right now is the hardest.

Hang in there. Try to find some fun things to distract you. Remember, being worried/sad is NOT going to improve your outcome!

I try not to think about “what if” and frame this as “what’s next”.   In the beginning everyone is in a terrifying tailspin, once all the diagnostics are done and a treatment plan is in place you will find there are brighter days coming.  

SameGirl50,

You can feel anyway you want.  But, I really like the idea of laughing when you can.  We have a word for the "waiting time" after a scan and we call it "Scanxiety", maybe we need to come up with one for the time we are awaiting diagnostic results...  What I try to do when I have troubling thoughts is to get into something fun.  It could be a show, movie, game, book or visit with a friend.  The troubles will always be there and you enjoying time while you wait for your diagnosis is not going to change it, so you have nothing limiting your ability to feel joy.  Hang in there...you'll get through this and we'll be here for you.

SamGirl50,

Everything you mentioned in your post I've experienced. Almost all of us go down the scan-to-biopsy-to-PET scan-to-treatment plan routine step-by-step, inch by inch! Time just seems to stop. I can forecast with certainty that the diagnosis type and stage shuffle will end. Then you'll face a different set of problems and challenges that again we've all experienced. My point is this is a very good place to ask questions because we designed the lung cancer t-shirts folks wear! Welcome here.

Stay the course.

Tom

Archived