Chemo Screamo

AngelL

Or the mini containers of Hagen Dazs or Edy's.  I was trying to eat just half of one each night before diagnosis, but allow myself a whole one now. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gained weight on protein and carbs occasionally. I was relieved  not to have to consume sweets of any kind except fruit. Thank God for that. Now my RBC and related red blood cell numbers are below par. I began consuming liver and dry fruit. Oddly my red blood cell count got worse when they discontinued Carboplatin. Maybe it is just a coincidence. 

Indeed, Lexie!!!  Although I admit that I consumed liverwurst sandwiches as a child.  

Gary, how low did your RBC go?  I had some low numbers while in hospital after the stroke but my oncologist seems unconcerned.  I asked what, if anything, I could do to bring them (and WBC, which were worse) up and he said nothing but that they were keeping a close eye on them.  Will be curious to see if they are improved pre-infusion on Monday morning or, if not, whether that affects my treatment.  While I like doing everything in one place, I'll be disappointed if Andy has to drive 4 hours each way for nothing.  

When I finished Carboplatin and docetacel (for a non-lung cancer) my hemoglobin continued to go down. I started craving red meat. I usually eat it about 2-3 times a year, but I ate it every day. It didn't help. When I finally agreed to a transfusion of red blood cells, my energy improved and my meat craving disappeared. 

Bridget O

59 minutes ago, Sabacat said:

Indeed, Lexie!!!  Although I admit that I consumed liverwurst sandwiches as a child.  

Gary, how low did your RBC go? 

RBC 0.311 ,  Hemoglobin 9.3  Hematocrit  29.2   all related to red blood cell count. I get a bit dizzy when I stand up fast. My oncologist is not alarmed either but he doesn't seem to be alarmed by anything. One thing I am happy about my glucose is back to normal.

57 minutes ago, BridgetO said:

I started craving red meat. I usually eat it about 2-3 times a year, but I ate it every day. It didn't help. 

Bridget O

Hi Bridget: In the past I rarely eat red meat. When I did the research I discovered that only beef helped with RBC. 

Mine are (were) pretty close to yours: RBC 3.28, hemoglobin 9.3 and hematocrit 29.3.  

I think I’m due for another B12 shot this time.  Not sure why they don’t give it with every infusion - it’s cheap and easy and can’t hurt you. 

After chemo, I was anemic. Had to take iron supplements. Now my hemoglobin is on the low end of normal, and they are just watching it. Just had monthly blood work done today, so we'll see. I also get lightheaded when I stand up fast. 

When I was a child, my mother made us eat liver. Blech. But I do still love liverwurst! 

Ground, spiced stuff like liverwurst or chopped chicken livers or pate de foie gras don't count as "liver" in my book. It's sufficiently disguised and the smell/taste is totally different. Seriously, it's the only way I could ever stomach it. 

My mom LOVED liver, but she was the only one in the family that would eat it. I actually TRIED to like it--I'd made my mind up it was good and nutritious. The one time I cooked it I had to air out my apartment for weeks. Never again!

My hemoglobin went down to 8 before I finally agreed to a transfusion. I just really didn't like the idea of transfusion but my oncologist really pushed me to agree. She said if my hemoglobin got much lower, I'd be at risk of heart attack. Has anybody else heard this?

7 hours ago, BridgetO said:

She said if my hemoglobin got much lower, I'd be at risk of heart attack. Has anybody else heard this?

Not specifically, but it makes sense, I think--hemoglobin carries the oxygen and heart attacks happen when the heart is deprived of oxygen, right? (I'm not in the medical field but I seem to remember reading that). 

I marvel at the combination of topics in this discussion. RBC>liver>meat craving>liverwurst>hemoglobin>unthinkable meals. I'll have my liver lightly dusted with flour then sautéed with bacon. When done, I'll set aside the liver and relish the bacon!

I do like ice cream and peanut butter, especially when the latter is lathered thickly on a Ritz cracker! 

Ok favorite food question: what is your absolutely must have sandwich? Point of clarification, a sandwich must contain two opposing pieces of bread to be considered conforming. Mine--a Philly cheesesteak with onions and cherry peppers and white American cheese!

Answers please....

Stay the course.

Tom

25 minutes ago, Tom Galli said:

Ok favorite food question: what is your absolutely must have sandwich? Point of clarification, a sandwich must contain two opposing pieces of bread to be considered conforming. Mine--a Philly cheesesteak with onions and cherry peppers and white American cheese!

Answers please....

Stay the course.

Tom

While I was still on a liquid diet after my abdominal surgery, all I wanted was a tuna sandwich. So that is one of the first things I had when my diet was changed. I haven't had a Philly cheesesteak in years but that sounds good! I miss good NY deli shrimp salad on rye too. 

What is this "sandwich" of which you speak, containing peppers and "American cheese"?? I've only lived here since 1981, but a REAL Philly cheesesteak uses Cheez Whiz. Peppers are debatable, but must be considered suspicious.

My favorite sandwich is from Tony Luke's, consisting of roast pork, broccoli rabe, and provolone on a hoagie roll. 

On 10/16/2020 at 11:22 AM, Tom Galli said:

IOk favorite food question: what is your absolutely must have sandwich? Point of clarification, a sandwich must contain two opposing pieces of bread to be considered conforming. Mine--a Philly cheesesteak with onions and cherry peppers and white American cheese!

Answers please....

Stay the course.

Tom

Mine is fried green peppers in olive oil on a sub or fried fish fillet  in olive oil also on a sub or sardines with olive oil on a sub.

Wow...my favorite sandwich...okay here we go; liverwurst with mustard and american cheese on rye toast.  I don't know why but since I was a kid I loved that sandwich and I loved it with a glass of chocolate milk.

Lou

Yeah, my investigators used to get us sandwiches from there at lunchtime (on one memorable occasion I brought half a sandwich home in my briefcase and forgot it was there for the entire weekend--man, did that Monday stink!) Now it's a small chain--there's one a couple of miles from me. There's also one in the Phila airport. 

Sandwiches? Hmm. Since I eat very little meat, that eliminates most good sandwich fillings. Now that I'm thinking sandwiches, though, I'm wistfully remembering one I used to eat years ago at an Irish bar in Berkeley, thick slices of rare roast beef on a crisp-crusted sourdough roll that had been dipped in jus. Add a little horseradish, nothing else. Thinking about it makes me hungry for beef!  Currently, I do like grilled cheese. I disagree with Tom that a sandwich has to have 2 slices of bread. One of my favorite breakfasts is a piece of toast or several slices of baguette, topped with soft goat cheese (chevre) mashed up with some orange infused olive oil, and a bunch of sliced radishes. I think of it as a sandwich, even though it has no top slice.

Bridget

Tough question.  

It's been so many years since I had liverwurst that I might have to resample.  It was a fave as a kid (on good Jewish rye bread from the deli in Philly).  

In recent years, I'd have to say either Arby's chicken salad or my husband's favorite burger - Andouille and Beef Burger with Spicy Mayo and Carmelized Onions (and blue cheese). Willing to share the recipe if anyone is interested.  

I'm always bouncing around reading different threads, and came upon this sandwich question, well my favorite is turkey and salami with provolone cheese, topped with red roasted peppers, drizzled with some olive oil, and some mayo on Italian bread Yum!

I hate liver no matter what shape or form it comes it bleh!

Take care everyone

Roseann

You all making me feel guilty about liver 😉. Why is liver so expensive in the store then? Roseann: Roasted peppers  drizzled with some olive oil is my favorite.

Mmmmm. Sandwiches and Ice Cream! I wasnt hungry until I read this post! Im going to have to vote for the Philly Cheesesteak No Chiz Whiz though! Real cheese for me please. 

Archived