Update

Karen W

So, a lot has happened since my last post.  I had VATS surgery on October 5 to remove my 2 cm lesion.  It turned out to be malignant.  Stage 1A2.  I consider myself very lucky that it was caught early which only happened because I pushed my primary care doc to order the original scan and ignored my pulmonologist and went to see a thoracic surgeon who looked at the scan and said he was positive that it was malignant.  Unfortunately, I have not had the easy recovery that so many people have had.  I had an air leak, a pneumothorax and severe subcutaneous emphysema and spend 7 days in the hospital.  My chest tube got accidently pulled out, my fault, and had to have another one placed.  Memories of the hospital stay are very vague mostly pain, sadness and my wonderful husband holding my hand.  I have been home one week now and am getting stronger every day.  I consider myself so lucky that this was caught at such an early stage and just hope and pray that it does not return.  This is a wonderful site and so full of such positivity and feel so lucky to have found it.

Thanks,

Karen

Aw, man, I had severe subcutaneous emphysema, too (aka "crepitus")--had to go back to the hospital a day or so after discharge and get slowly deflated with the help of another chest tube.  It's no picnic! Glad you're feeling better--I think you'll find you bounce back quickly from here on.

Make sure you stay on top of your scans going forward! Hopefully you are done, but I got a bad scan three years after surgery and I'm now Stage IV. It may be totally unrelated to my original cancer but still, good thing I was going for my regular scans. It's not as advanced as some Stage IVs at the time of diagnosis. 

Hi Karen,

I'm glad to hear you're now headed in the right direction and sorry you had such a struggle with the air leak and tube, I had a continuing air leak. They released me from the hospital with the tube in place. Thet  tube caused me some discomfort and, at times, jabbing pain, but it was way easier than what you went through. It was good you persisted with the doctors and got the surgery, though.

Bridget O

Hi Karen - I am happy to hear that you are home and recovering.  Hopefully the entire situation will soon be a distant memory!!

Karen

Glad to hear that the worst is behind you.  You were smart to push for the surgeon and advocate for your health.  At this point you should be through the worst of it with better days to come.  

Lou

Karen,

Very sorry to hear about all the difficulties you have with your surgery.  I am also happy for you that your cancer was found at an early stage and hope your treatments will all be curative.    Mine was diagnosed at Stage IV, so surgery was never an option and as odd as it may sound to most people, I was somewhat relieved.   I do NOT like any type of surgery and always end up with some fluke or something happens that makes it more complex.    I have read many posts from surgical patients and it does not sound like an easy time and no one ever seems to like those darn chest tubes, so I'm very sorry you had to have it put in again -- ouch! 

I am however happy that you've now been through the worst of it and that you are now recovering and feeling better and are home.   I hope  you have great success and will continue to improve every day!  

Take care,

Lisa

Archived