WBC count low

LexieCat

Yesterday morning I went for my CT scans and blood work--I see oncologist and go for my third round of treatment on Thurs. I'd barely gotten home when my NP called to say my WBC and neutrophils were low. She said it wasn't anything to worry about and, in fact, was to be expected with the treatment, but the bottom line is I'll need to have another round of blood work on Thursday and if it's still low the infusion will have to be postponed.

She thought there was a good chance it will be back up by Thursday, so keeping my fingers crossed. Just one more thing to stress out about this week.

I go back to the Ophthalmologist today for followup on my eye. It still feels a bit scratchy but I can tell it's much better. I've had problems with dry eyes for a while and the doc told me something interesting. Apparently when I close my eyes the top and bottom lids don't completely meet. He said that it has the same effect as sleeping with your mouth open, where you get a dry mouth. He recommended this lubricating gel to be put in at bedtime. I've been using that in my uninjured eye (and the injured one after the antibiotic ointment was done) and wow, what an improvement in how my eyes feel in the morning. It's an OTC gel called GenTeal Tears. 

WBC counts can go way low during treatment. Mine was as low as 1.7 but has since gone up to a little below normal. 

Glad your eye is getting better. Hope you don't have to postpone your infusion. 

LexieCat, I'm glad to hear your eye is better. Your earlier description of your eye injury and pain was enough to make me cringe!  When I was having chemo  I had low neutrophils twice--once they went down to zero. For subsequent infusions,  I had Neupogen afterwards, a series of shots I gave to myself. Didn't have any neutrophil crashes afte that. Sometimes Neopogen and Neulasta ( a long-acting one-shot version) cause bone pain, but I was lucky and didn't have that.

I hope your counts go up and you can have your infusion.

Lee

Ophthalmologist says my eye looks pretty good--just a bit of corneal swelling left. He wants me to keep using the OTC gel at night and same type of eye drops during the day--apparently both eyes were extremely dry--and come back in a couple of months to be re-checked.

9 minutes ago, BridgetO said:

I had Neupogen afterwards, a series of shots I gave to myself. Didn't have any neutrophil crashes afte that. Sometimes Neopogen and Neulasta ( a long-acting one-shot version) cause bone pain, but I was lucky and didn't have that.

Yeah, she mentioned getting some kind of med if it's still low on Thurs. I've given myself shots before (insulin, when I had gestational diabetes) and that doesn't bother me. I'm just hoping nothing has to be postponed.

Lexie,

Sorry to hear about your low readings.  I am glad to hear that your eye is improving.  I also get "dry eye" and some mornings I can hardly open my eyes until I get drops in them.  The gel sounds like a good move to keep your eye moist while you sleep.  I hope  you'll feel better soon and that the blood anomalies will resolve.  Stay strong Lexie and keep us updated.

Lou

There ia a new biosimilar for Neupogen, but I don't remember the name of it. It's cheaper, I think, but not cheap. All these cancer meds are exhorbitant, but some more than others,

Lou, definitely try the eye gel. The doc told me if I wake up during the night to use it again. He also recommended using artificial tears four or more times a day. So far, my eyes are feeling much better when I get up in the morning.

Hoping your white count will be up so you can have treatment.  Crossing my fingers.

Happy your eye us improving and thanks fur the dry eye information.  Very interesting and great that we continue to educate each other.

Take care and hope your shoulder is also improving.

Archived