Round 3 and scan results

LexieCat

So I’m in the infusion chair for Round 3—my blood work was fine.  I DID have a really high BP reading—171/104 the first time and 151/94 right before the infusion. Mine runs a BIT high normally, but not over 135/90. So that was weird. 

The GREAT news is that my oncologist is thrilled with my scan results. He called it a “complete response” and showed me this scan compared to the one when we started, and it’s cool to see those tumors shrinking. The adjacent cloudy areas of consolidation have cleared significantly too. I asked about the lymph nodes and he said the nodes are all normal in size and there are no signs of lymphadenopathy. Bottom line-no changes in treatment. 

Update—they just checked my vitals again and BP way down. I’m sure getting good news helps. :) 

Yup, she came with me to my appointment. We both love my doctor--he was telling us about his son, who's 8 (I think?), and got an assignment to write about a law he'd like to have changed. He opted to write that he should have the right to vote, and marshaled his best argument: he knows how to push buttons. I think kids are BORN knowing how to push buttons--especially their parents'!

Yay for shrinkage! I'm really glad to hear this!

I'm not surprised that your BP was up and then down. Mine tends to go up when I'm stressed or in pain.

Bridget O

That's great news. Is complete response when all the cancer is gone for sure? My mum had "excellent partial response" for her last scan but there was a tiny remainder which the doctors weren't sure if it was remaining cancer cells or inflammation. Now they think that it's inflammation.

No, there's quite a bit of cancer left here to work on. "Complete response" at this point in treatment means, I think, that the chemo is doing its job and is expected to continue to do so until it IS gone (or as gone as it gets in Stage IV). IOW, there are no signs that the cancer has stopped responding to the chemo/immunotherapy. I'm only halfway through treatment.

Woohoo!  That sounds like wonderful and very positive news!  I'm so happy for you!

Now let's get the eye and shoulder healed and get you back to feeling much better in ALL ways!

Lexie,

I've been away for a couple of days and am thrilled to hear that you are responding so well to your treatment.  Lord only know what caused the high blood pressure, but if it went back down then you know it was situational.  I pray that this keeps up for you and you also tolerate the treatments well on an ongoing basis.

Lou

I, too, was off-line for a few days and delighted to read this!  

My bowel issues ended up going the other way and turned out to be an "immune-mediated response" to, I think, the Keytruda.  Prednisone is a miracle drug, though, and I'm back to near normal after 4 days (have to stay on the pred for another two weeks).  I think my 4th round will be on schedule on the 11th with no delays.  

Archived