Covid

Banana

Hello.

I am writing scared and trying to stay hopeful.

My Dad received chemo (doceltaxel and ramicimrizab) last Friday (8days ago). I found he had a fever yesterday and took him to the ER. 

During that time they found he had low wbc, and colitis. Then they told us he was tested positive for covid 19. The only silver lining was that his oxygen levels and lungs seemed stable so far. 

I am writing to ask for prayers and any advice or similar experience within the community. I’m just so scared we will lose him. 

Hi, Banana, 

I don't have any personal experience with COVID, thankfully, but there might be one or two people here with more info. Hopefully the fact that he was diagnosed early on will make it more treatable--there is still so much unknown about this disease. If his lungs and oxygen are good right now, hopefully that will continue and help him get through this without serious effects.

Good luck--is he in-patient right now?

Here's an article from Memorial Sloan Kettering about a study that suggests it isn't lung cancer or treatment that affects the severity of COVID in lung cancer patients, but rather other factors such as obesity, hypertension, COPD, heart failure, etc.  IOW, the same kinds of risk factors that seem to affect severity in the rest of the population. https://www.mskcc.org/clinical-updates/severity-covid-19-patients-lung-cancer-not-driven-cancer-cancer-treatments

Hopefully that provides some encouragement.

Good work getting him to the ER right away. A lot of people don't realize that fever in a person having cheno can be a life threatenng emergency. Sending positive thoughts your way.\

Bridget O

Banana,

So sorry to hear about this, but great that you got your dad to the ER immediately.  Lexie is right about the LC and Covid interaction.  My son (56 yrs old) got it and thought it was the flue so he didn't seek help.  When he finally did go they put him on oxygen (not a ventilator), administered steroids and some other meds and he improved in about 3 days.  He still needed some time ag home to regain his stamina, but he fully recovered.  Yes, your father is compromised, but some of what sets off the "inflammation storm" that has been spoken about is more related to the conditions that Lexie mentioned.  Prayers to you and your dad that he responds to treatment and is home in a few days.

Lou

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. 

I just wanted to report that my Dad came back home after a week and has been doing ok. Covid remained asymptomatic and he was treated for his other issues (low wbc and colitis).
He got well enough for doctors to start him back on his Chemo treatment this past week. Praying this cycle will be a lot smoother than the last. Thank you for helping me remain calm. 

Archived