A ray of good news!

LexieCat

Anybody else stoked about the latest news on the vaccine from Pfizer?

I sure am! Dr. Fauci had a lot of positive things to say about the announcement. I'm betting that once it's available, they will prioritize front line healthcare workers, first responders like police and firefighters, and the vulnerable (including, at some point early-ish in the process, people like us and our families).

This is especially important for me, since my daughter is more than likely headed home to Colorado next month, which means I'll have to run some of the errands she's been running (no family out here and my helpful neighbors will be headed back to Florida the first of the year). I'd sure feel a lot better about going out to pick up groceries, etc., if I'm protected from COVID, as well as the flu (for which I've already been vaccinated).

Fingers crossed!!

Lexie,

I'm excited about news of the vaccine. For us, it is our only ray of hope in returning to the semblance of a normal life. I think you are correct about the dosing priority, and I did read it is a two-part vaccine and there is a time sensitive second dose that must be taken to garner the 90-percent effective threshold.

Have you looked into grocery delivery? Before COVID, we shopped at the military commissary. We discovered Walmart. We ordered online and they would place them in the trunk of our car. Now they are starting home delivery and it works for us.

Stay the course.

Tom

Oh, yeah, I was doing delivery before my daughter got here. And that's what I'll go back to (or pickup--I have an SUV and can open the hatch for workers to put the bags inside) when my daughter leaves. It's just that sometimes picking up stuff in person is easier when stuff is out of stock--it would be nice to be able to do that, at least from time to time.

One other tip--for anyone here who uses travel rewards cards--mine have started allowing you to earn extra points (or to redeem those points) for groceries and dining takeout/delivery, at least for the next several months. I put ALL purchases on my credit cards (paying them in full each month) but until travel is possible again it's good to be able to earn/use those points for non-travel purchases.

It was great news. I am hoping the Moderna vaccine (also mRNA) works as well. It has several advantages, the two biggest being it is only one dose and the second being it only needs to be stored at normal refrigeration temperature.  Trying to ship and distribute the Pfizer vac at minus 100 F is not a trivial issue.

Should have some phase 3 data on moderna within weeks if not sooner.

Cant wait for 2020 to be over.

Peace

Tom

This is a game-changer for sure.  a 90% efficacy seems out of sight, but the premise of this vaccine is different than the norm so we can hope for a pretty good weapon against the disease.  Considering this and the new therapeutics that have been coming out we will soon be in a much better position than we were 6 months ago.  Fauci strikes me as odd though...just over a week ago he wasn't talking about the promise of a vaccine, but he's less important than the medication itself.  I wonder where LC patients will fall in the priority list.

Lou

It really is great news!  I hope health care workers will be safer.  AndI hope I'll feel safe enough to go back to work and that my other out-of-home activities can start up in the spring. My wife is working full-time (and more) from home and I have cabin fever. I was getting out a bit, but now cutting back to essentials, like grocery pickup, because of the increase in coronavirus infections.  And I hope eveerybody in treatment will have one thing to worry less about.

Bridget  O

10 hours ago, LouT said:

Fauci strikes me as odd though...just over a week ago he wasn't talking about the promise of a vaccine

He heard about the announcement around the same time as the rest of us. The news didn't come initially from Pfizer (which also just found out about the results) but rather from the independent data monitoring board that is evaluating the results of the trials. Pfizer then announced it.

Archived