Where is everyone from?

zara1305

I was reading a post from a lady who said she was from Arizona and as I started to reply to her I hit a wrong button on my phone and lost the thread.   I am now curious as to where everyone is from and have any of you ever met up or going to the same places for treatments.   I moved to Mesa AZ 10 years ago after my Husband passed from cancer. Could not deal with old weather!  Just thought this would be fun and interesting. Also are there any other Brits on here?

Morning. I am from SW Washington state. There are/have been people from across the world. I remember one person who was in Africa.

As for going to the same treatment site...it is a very small world. There is another person who goes to the exact same clinic I do and it is not a world class cancer center. We have never met, but for all I know we could have been sitting next to each other at some point.

Welcome aboard this crazy train called cancer.

Peace

Tom

33 minutes ago, zara1305 said:

Hope you have been spared the fires!  Nice to meet you Judy.

Thanks, we only had some smoke from the Valley Fire around Labor Day. Fingers crossed that our nice cool weather continues for a while. Nice to meet you too, Zara! 

Originally from Colorado, but I've lived in South Jersey (right across from Philadelphia) since 1981 (except for 18 months in mid/late 90s when I briefly moved back to Colorado before coming back here). 

Up until my Stage IV diagnosis I was planning to move to NM, but now I feel like I should stick around closer to the big medical centers.

Wow! Great question and conversation starter. I was born in Havertown, PA, a western suburb of Philadelphia. I had my cancer treatment at a small clinic in Mesquite, TX and to my knowledge, I've never encountered anyone I knew at my clinic. I still have scans at that clinic. Unfortunately, my oncologist is retiring in March (my last consultation) after 17 years of treating me. So I get to train a new one....

I've been at least overnight in every state in the US. I've had mailing addresses in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, Georgia, Colorado, Utah, Michigan, Washington State and Kentucky. I've lived a total of 5 years overseas, courtesy of the US Army. I've been overnight in every continent in the world except Antarctica. Some of the "garden spots" Uncle Sam sent me to include: Haiti, Somalia, Egypt, Kuwait, Iraq, Sudan, Rwanda, and South Africa . But duty in Germany was fantastic, and their beer is the best in the world. October Fest in Munich and Chriskindlemarkt in Nuremberg are not to be missed. Midway and Diego Garcia tie for the most remote spot I've been to. In both places, Albatros birds were the dominant lifeform.

Born and raised in Jersey, worked the equivalent of the "private military" aka health insurance, lived in MA, TX, FL and now in KS (KC Metro).  Always had plans to return to FL but now in treatment at a major academic center so we've learned to love the one your with (sort of).   Welcome to our community! 

2 hours ago, Tom Galli said:

But duty in Germany was fantastic, and their beer is the best in the world. October Fest in Munich and Chriskindlemarkt in Nuremberg are not to be missed.

Tom, you've been around the world! Thank you for your service. 

My sister (DOD teacher) and brother-in-law (retired Army dentist) were stationed in Wiesbaden and Frankfurt in the 1980s and early 1990s. We visited them a few times and enjoyed Octoberfest and Christmastime there. My nephews learned to ski at Olympic venues in Austria and were world travelers by the time the older one was 6.

My older nephew (now in his 20s and married) has joined the Navy and is getting his masters in industrial hygiene. Once he graduates he'll be assigned to either Norfolk or San Diego. He'll have family in either place but we hope they come here.

Grew up in Philadelphia, moved to Cincinnati during high school, then to Atlanta, Charleston, Raleigh and Sanford, NC till DH was downsized and retired.  After that, we moved to the NC mountains (first a wide spot in the road called Cruso, then in 2015 to Zirconia).  In 2008, we added the duplex in Kings Bay, GA, where we spend the winter.  

My 90-year-old Mom is still in Cincinnati.  Pre-Covid and pre-cancer I tried to get up there every 8 weeks to take care of things for her (I'm an only child), but now haven't been able to do so since end of August. ☹️  Thankfully, she's relatively healthy but the isolation of Covid has been hard on her.  She's stubbornly insisting on staying in her home and won't even consider assisted living or an apartment.  Sigh.  

Like Tom, we've been to every continent except Antarctica (saw it from a ship, but didn't set foot on it) but our travel was all voluntary. 😊  We were scheduled on a small ship cruise to Spain, Portugal and France in April, but Covid cancelled those plans.  By the end of July I had been diagnosed w/Stage 4 NSCLC, so I think our overseas travel days are over -- which is fine, travel has become SO much more difficult and less desirable in recent years.  

Susan 

Third generation Californian here. Born, raised and remain in the San Francisco Bay Area. Having both retired this year, once Covid is over (contained?) my husband and I will begin looking at other areas in the Western US to live out our retirement. That’s if (& it’s a big IF) I can cut the very deep roots I have here.

On 11/19/2020 at 5:16 PM, Tom Galli said:

But duty in Germany was fantastic, and their beer is the best in the world. October Fest in Munich and Chriskindlemarkt in Nuremberg are not to be missed. 

Tom: I traveled to most of these countries either for work or cruising.  I worked in Germany for a bit and traveled to all those places. Problem is I vaguely remember them.  It seems like Beer, Schnapps  and memory do not get along. The dumb things we do when we are young. I have been back there since and it is a wonderful country.  I believe that the best thing to do in life is travel and thank God I did my share. Thank you always for sharing your experiences.

Born and raised in Minneapolis, still here except for a 3 year stint in Los Angeles in the early 80’s for work.  I would like to go someplace warmer but I don’t see leaving the kids and grandkids.  I do also love the change of seasons.  Don’t like the winter much anymore, but you can’t beat Minnesota in the summer!

Babs

I was born and raised in Boston ,  Massachusetts.   At 21  years of age I married a cute Navy sailor from Cloquet Minnesota . 

Followed him for the rest of his time in the Navy. We moved 17 times .  We settled down in his home state of 

Minnesota .  I've been here ever since .   As Babs says it is cold here this time of year usually .  Today when I

woke up it was 22 degrees but at least it is sunny.

Donna  G

Archived