Newcomer

lindseysmom

Hi everyone I'm new to the board, just found this site today through the American Cancer site. I am 45 years old and have stage 111B non-small cell lund cancer. I was diagnosed in July 2002, I had no symptoms until the end of June 2002. i went to work that day feeling fine, went home for lunch and started having chest pains, thought I was having a heart attack but it was on the right side of my chest. I went to the doctor they did EKG and a chest x-ray they found a spot on my right lung. I was first told they thought I was in the early stages of the disease but after they did a biopsy on my lymph nodes I was told that they would not operate. My only options were chemo and radiation. I finished my treatment in July 2003. I was on carbo and taxol. I did not have any bad side effects. My throat was sore for a while. The chemo did put me into menopause and arthritis. Pet scan in October and was told that everything was stable or within the radiation treatment field. (What ever that means) My last vist to the doctors was in January and was told everything was still stable, see you in three months. I almost feel back to normal actually I feel pretty good. I have tried to get on a clinical trail but have been told by my doctors I can't until it starts to grow again. I am looking forward to talking with the people who have been posting on the board, everyone seems so nice and helpful.

Welcome,I'm fairly new to the group myself,I was diagnosised with NSCLC on Oct 2nd,2003,on the operating table on the 24th had a right upper lobectomy.No chemo,just missing part of a lung and I'm still out there taking every breath I can.This is a wonderful group,you'll find alot of support here.My prayers are with you.

Angels are the guardians of hope and the keepers of miracles.

Welcome,I'm fairly new to the group myself,I was diagnosised with NSCLC on Oct 2nd,2003,on the operating table on the 24th had a right upper lobectomy.No chemo,just missing part of a lung and I'm still out there taking every breath I can.This is a wonderful group,you'll find alot of support here.My prayers are with you.

Hi, I wanted to wish you a warm welcome to our family. I'm sorry you have to join us, but you won't find a more caring and knowledgable bunch of people!

I was diagnosed in Jan 2003 with IIIA NSCLC -- at first they thought that I too was Stage I, but after surgery it was determined that there was some lymphnode involvement. I followed up w/ radiation and chemo and finished all treatment in June of 2003. (You can see my signature for specifics)

As far as clinical trials, it is true that most trials require "active" tumor, but I believe there are several "preventative" trials going on around the country, including a preventative vaccine trial at the University of Kentucky. If you do a search here on "trials", I am sure you will come up with several links that may help you find what you are looking for!

It sounds as though things are going well for you -- keep up your positive attitude!

Welcome again,

Heather

Welcome . I too was diagnosed because of chest pain. My tumor was in the apex of my lung pressing on nerves and the pleura. The plan from the start was chemo to kill and shrink , then surgery , then more chemo. When they did the surgery all they found was scar tissue, no live tumor. I pray this is what happened to yours. Again, welcome. Donna G

Here's a post I made to an earlier new arrival. It may help you, as well.

Becky

aka Snowflake

Tips to make it go easier - (it's as easy as A-B-C)

Ask for the drugs when it hurts!

Be nice to the nurses, they are your link to drugs....and baths...and visitors

Call your General Practitioner and see about anti-anxiety medication or sleeping pills - you need to sleep BEFORE the surgery

Don't jump to cancer conclusions until you know for sure

Exercises - breathing exercises after surgery

Find a person to be your advocate, to go to all appointments and take notes

Get acquainted with your spiritual side, you'll be visiting

Help your doctor help you, follow all instructions and ask questions if you aren't clear

Ignore cancer statistics - they're outdated and dismal

Just try to relax

Kid around

Laugh - it feels better to hurt when you're laughing than to just hurt

Make the most of every day

Never give up

Obtain what you need to get you through (mentally/emotionally/physically)

Promise yourself you'll get better

Quit procrastinating

Rely on others - healing takes some time

Strength - you have it, find out how to get to it

Take time to notice the little things

Understand you won't be back to 100% a week after the surgery

Value the talent your doctors have, but seek others if you aren't happy

Waiting is the hardest part

Xrays for the rest of your life (or so it seems)

You CAN do it

Zen - that inner peace, again...

(Wow, sometimes I even amaze myself...)

Seriously, though, it hurts. One of the most painful surgeries there is, no doubt. Take the medication in the hospital, you are NOT a wimp if you need pain medication. Be nice to the nurses, they control the "temperature" of your stay - "please" and "thank you" go a long way. If you are getting bad care (i.e. a blood draw where they can't reach a darn vein) ask for someone else. Deep breathing and relaxation techniques help. Don't expect to sleep comfortable on your "normal side" anytime soon. Laughing hurts, coughing hurts, sneezing is a real bit*h...but laugh when you can, humor helps. Blood coming from anywhere is bad - let someone know immediately.

Welcome to the group, I can't express enough how sorry I am that you have cause to find us. But since you do, I am glad you are here. This is a wonderful and loving place to be, filled with warm and caring people.

I have a link here to one of the postings that Heather referenced concerning the clinical trial for GVAX (lung cancer vaccine currently being tried on NCSLC). It lists contact locations for this trial and it's eligibility requirements. It does not look like it requires active tumor response to participate.

http://www.buy2k.net/lungcancersurvivor ... light=gvax

I will be praying for you and hoping that you beat this d_mn disease.

God Bless

Carleen