Update and some worry...

Fuzzy

I finished my chemo ( carboplatin) and radiation for my adenocarcinoma of my right lung ( stage IIIa)  in August and a PET scan in September showed no evidence of disease. 
the only stiff seen was where I’d had the surgery, but the lymph node that had lit up was dead. I was thrilled! 

a bit over a month later, I coughed up and there was a *tiny* bit of blood in my sputum. Bit much...a very small amount. 

I saw the doc and she ordered a ct scan with contrast. It showed a 0.9 cm x 0.6 cm “nodular opacity” on my anterior upper left lobe. From the report:

“New 0.9 x 0.6 cm nodular opacity in the left anterior upper lobe, possibly infectious/inflammatory. Background of centrilobular emphysematous changes, with probably unchanged areas of mosaic attenuation since prior PET/CT, allowing for differences in technique. Postsurgical changes relating to prior right lower lobectomy”

it scares me this showed up in just more than a month and that’s it’s kind of large.  I thought I’d come through this alright, but now I’m really worried. 

anyone ever had this?

thanks! 

pat. 

Fuzzy

Similar situation with me. I finished radiation first of August and my screening CAT scan in November showed a pretty sizable mass in my RML. I too am very concerned with the speed of the recurrence.

Was suppose to see my oncologist today to review a PET scan and path forward, bit he canceled it at the last minute and wanted to reschedule in 2 weeks. I nearly lost it but firmly said that was just not acceptable. Now I am scheduled for a phone consult Friday. So more waiting.

It is entirely possible that yours is not a recurrence. That is my hope for you.

Peace

Tom

Pat,

Is the paragraph you cite the Impressions paragraph in your CT report? I note the words "background of centrilobular emphysematous changes" and that might point to an area of emphysema tissue and the nodule may be associated with that symptom.

As a lung cancer survivor, I'm always concerned when I cough up something unusual, blood or otherwise. I've had occasions over the years when I had flecks of blood in my sputum. Then on several occasions, I coughed up scar tissue; one event resulted in a very scary and sizable "chunk". My surgeon characterized this as anatomical re-arrangement fall-out!4B1634EB-114A-4AE4-AD04-3D90868B0F27_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f95f57ec008200b7a1a6355017f76858.jpeg

I also have mysterious "nodules" that show up from time-to-time in my scheduled scans. Why? I wouldn't know but to avoid all out panic, I started charting the locations of these nodules using the radiologist's description by spreadsheet. Now when they "appear" I have the data to dismiss it as a recurring phantom and save myself from endless worry. 

I agree with Tom that your nodule might not be recurrence and I do hope he is right. I can't do anything to alleviate your worry except to say I still suffer from mysterious nodules in my screening scans and this seems to be "normal."

Stay the course.

Tom

I see wording on my radiology report referring to emphysematous/COPD  but my pneumologist told me I had COPD 10 years ago. To this day I never noticed anything different in my breathing despite hiking high in the mountains all day plus playing tennis regularly and never took any medication for it. Also I used to cough blood flakes when I started infusion but they disappeared along with the cough. My oncologist was not all that worried about them after seeing my CT scans. Hope this helps.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:13 AM, Tom Galli said:

Pat,

Is the paragraph you cite the Impressions paragraph in your CT report? I note the words "background of centrilobular emphysematous changes" and that might point to an area of emphysema tissue and the nodule may be associated with that symptom.

As a lung cancer survivor, I'm always concerned when I cough up something unusual, blood or otherwise. I've had occasions over the years when I had flecks of blood in my sputum. Then on several occasions, I coughed up scar tissue; one event resulted in a very scary and sizable "chunk". My surgeon characterized this as anatomical re-arrangement fall-out!4B1634EB-114A-4AE4-AD04-3D90868B0F27_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.f95f57ec008200b7a1a6355017f76858.jpeg

I also have mysterious "nodules" that show up from time-to-time in my scheduled scans. Why? I wouldn't know but to avoid all out panic, I started charting the locations of these nodules using the radiologist's description by spreadsheet. Now when they "appear" I have the data to dismiss it as a recurring phantom and save myself from endless worry. 

I agree with Tom that your nodule might not be recurrence and I do hope he is right. I can't do anything to alleviate your worry except to say I still suffer from mysterious nodules in my screening scans and this seems to be "normal."

Stay the course.

Tom

that quote is from the report.  I've known I've had Emphysema for a while-and oddly the coughing went away two weeks after I'd stopped smoking. It returned after my Rad/chemo was finished.  It always feels like tickling in the throat-and you can hear wheezing if i keep my mouth open when breathing.. If I clear my throat, the wheezing stops for a little bit.

Below is the report with personal stuff redacted

Tom:

Yes, the 

IMG_5031.jpg

Tom:

The only large I've brought up was a gross green mucus glob a few days ago.  other than that, it's just cloudy white mucous.  I'd been wanted after surgery I might bring up scar tissue--but what you brought up is...wow!

Pat

Pat,

As a lung cancer survivor, I'm always concerned when I cough up something unusual, blood or otherwise. I've had occasions over the years when I had flecks of blood in my sputum. Then on several occasions, I coughed up scar tissue; one event resulted in a very scary and sizable "chunk". My surgeon characterized this as anatomical re-arrangement fall-out!

Stay the course.

Tom

On 12/2/2020 at 8:43 PM, TJM said:

Fuzzy

Similar situation with me. I finished radiation first of August and my screening CAT scan in November showed a pretty sizable mass in my RML. I too am very concerned with the speed of the recurrence.

Was suppose to see my oncologist today to review a PET scan and path forward, bit he canceled it at the last minute and wanted to reschedule in 2 weeks. I nearly lost it but firmly said that was just not acceptable. Now I am scheduled for a phone consult Friday. So more waiting.

It is entirely possible that yours is not a recurrence. That is my hope for you.

Peace

Tom

Tom:

Damn...prayers up you get good news....

Pat

Archived