KRAS G12A

JC63

Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with squamous cell lung cancer in the summer of 2019, which I had surgery for. I recently discovered they did testing and I have the KRAS G12A (biomarker/gene/mutation, not sure what it is considered). From what I've read, there isn't really any immunotherapy for this, just chemo. I haven't had a recurrence yet, but didn't do well with the chemo after surgery. I only made it through two rounds of cisplatin and gemcitabine before I became toxic...(hearing loss/tinnitus mostly). I was wondering if anyone else has this mutation, if so, what options were you given?

Thanks much,

JC63

Hi, JC, 

I'm under the impression that for mutations that are not "actionable" (i.e., no targeted therapy exists), the mutation is pretty much irrelevant to the treatments available or offered. Maybe I'm wrong about that--if I am, someone please correct me.

JC,

When the KRAS gene in your DNA acts abnormally it can be the cause of lung cancer. It is found in about 30% of non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) adenocarcinoma and 5% NSCLC squamous cell. The most common form is KRAS G12A. Some presentations of adenocarcinoma are treatable with targeted therapy. Unfortunately, no targeted therapy has yet been discovered for KRAS. More importantly, no squamous cell lung cancer yet responds to targeted therapy.

But, immunotherapy is not targeted therapy and many types are now available to treat both squamous cell and adenocarcinoma regardless if the KRAS G12A gene mutation is present. I wouldn't know why it wouldn't be effective if you were to have a recurrence. That is a question for your doctor.

But happily, you have not had a recurrence and you won't get one!

Welcome here.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thank you Tom and LexiCat....That does clear up a lot! I wasn't sure the difference between immunotherapy and targeted therapy. My oncologist made it sound like chemo was my only option, and that really scared me after the awful side effects last time around. 

• 1 year later...

As we know that KRAS D12C is a drive mutation for NSCLC. Your case is sarcoma lung cancer with KRAS G12A  mutation. It is different type of mutation, and the treatment should be different from that of NSCLC. We do not know if KESG12A is a drive mutation in Sarcoma lung cancer, but it is a KRAS mutation, and is response for tumorigenesis. The latest research results indicate that clinical utility of dual SHP2/MEK inhibition as a targeted therapy would be effective in treatment of KRAS-mutant cancer, specifically for lung cancer,