Feeling a little bit down

LexieCat

My daughter headed home to Colorado yesterday evening. She came out here to stay with me for the first three months of my treatment. It helped that her job allowed everyone to work remotely till January, but that will presumably be ending soon, my medical condition seems to be stable for now, and she misses her cat and her friends back home (the cats here were attempting to stow away in her belongings as she was packing up). 

We didn't really hang out that much (or even share many meals/activities together)--she's someone who values her own space and has to interact with people all day online (as a remote supervisor) so she kinda shuts down after work hours. But it was nice just having someone here to count on, ya know? I value MY space, too, so it's not like I'll be terribly lonely in general--I've been alone for the past 15-plus years and like it that way. 

I just got all teary-eyed when we hugged goodbye (and I'm not a big cryer, either) and this morning feeling a little lost. I will bounce back quickly, I'm sure, and I'm so grateful she was able to be here as long as she was. Her roommate flew out from Denver and rented a van here, so they are driving back together. Roommate stayed outside, away from me, while they were loading up. At least the weather across the country this weekend should give them good driving conditions.

Oh I hear ya.  Even the sounds of someone else being in the house, a creaky floor board or general thumping around can be comforting just knowing someone is near by.   It’s been a hellava wide ride for you all at once.   You’re one tough cookie!  Here’s some happy music! 

Lexie,

I understand how you feel, completely. Martha is driving to Kentucky to spend the holidays with her very ill mother. I've spent many holidays alone, on Army duty, overseas, and while surrounded by soldiers I sorely missed my family. Each Christmas, I re-live childhood memories and experience the excitement about the marvelous gifts pending delivery. Of course, despite all my family separations, this COVID year has been one nightmare after another. So this year, we get a double dose. Hopefully, we all get a COVID vaccine as this year's gift!

We are zooming on Christmas day. Join us for some old yule time cheer!

Stay the course.

Tom

Lexi

Watch some Football. It's been a life saver to me this year. I'm the commissioner of a fantasy football league. Might sound silly, but we all just agreed it made 2020 a tad more tolerable.

Peace

Tom

LOL, I totally LOATHE football. I was pretty neutral about it until the person with whom I was in my last relationship kept it on TV every waking minute (one reason I appreciate living alone). Really not a fan of any sports, unfortunately. I like reading, movies, concerts, theater, and travel. And I've been doing a bit more cooking/baking since I've quit working. 

It's OK, I will cheer up--this is just another adjustment. The last time I lived with my daughter was for a year in 2006, while she was in college and was attending the nearby community college. After that she moved back to Colorado (where her dad and brother live). I'm the only one in the family FROM Colorado and I'm the only one who currently doesn't live there. 

I just need to set some new goals for myself and get into some new routines. 

Lexington, I don't know if you enjoy ballet, but several ballet companies are streaming the Nutcracker. I know the NYC ballet company is doing one. Also, did you see this? 

LexieCat,

I'm glad you were able to spend this time with your daughter. Think of it as a benefit of COVID.   I agree with you about football. It makes me think of the men watching TV after dinner while the women clean up stuff. Not a fun sport in any event. Here's something to cheer you up. It's funnier if you understand some French, but I think it's entertaining even if you don't.  

Hey LexieCat - I get it. When I was in treatment, my mom would come visit for a few days and I always hated to see her go. My husband was here but there was just something about having her here. 

How are you feeling?

9 hours ago, BridgetO said:

LexieCat,

I'm glad you were able to spend this time with your daughter. Think of it as a benefit of COVID.   I agree with you about football. It makes me think of the men watching TV after dinner while the women clean up stuff. Not a fun sport in any event. Here's something to cheer you up. It's funnier if you understand some French, but I think it's entertaining even if you don't.  

LOVE the Boynton cats! I still drink coffee out of a Boynton mug my daughter "gave" me when she was a toddler ("Happy Mother's Day from your Little Monster"--with a dragon holding a heart balloon). And the video is adorable--will share. Thanks! :) 

8 hours ago, Susan Cornett said:

Hey LexieCat - I get it. When I was in treatment, my mom would come visit for a few days and I always hated to see her go. My husband was here but there was just something about having her here. 

How are you feeling?

Not bad--had some back pain earlier this week that was excruciating but doesn't appear to be anything serious. I seem to have a bit less fatigue this infusion, since they cut the carboplatin. Still tired but not as utterly wiped out. 

How are you doing these days, Susan? 

Oh, and got a text from daughter a couple of hours ago. They made it home, safe & sound. She was planning to try to get a bit of sleep before they had to return the rental van. She was pretty good about updating me every few hours as they were traveling. Glad the weather cooperated! I think they would have made it home sooner, but her roommate wanted to stop in Chicago (where she's from) for lunch, so they picked up a pizza.

Lexie,

Once we have loved ones around and then they have to leave there is always an empty feeling that follows.  I'm sure you will (as you said) recover quickly.  But, the good thing is that you had that time and company while she was there with you.  

Lou

On 12/13/2020 at 5:50 AM, LexieCat said:

My daughter headed home to Colorado yesterday evening. She came out here to stay with me for the first three months of my treatment. It helped that her job allowed everyone to work remotely till January, but that will presumably be ending soon, my medical condition seems to be stable for now, and she misses her cat and her friends back home (the cats here were attempting to stow away in her belongings as she was packing up). 

We didn't really hang out that much (or even share many meals/activities together)--she's someone who values her own space and has to interact with people all day online (as a remote supervisor) so she kinda shuts down after work hours. But it was nice just having someone here to count on, ya know? I value MY space, too, so it's not like I'll be terribly lonely in general--I've been alone for the past 15-plus years and like it that way. 

I just got all teary-eyed when we hugged goodbye (and I'm not a big cryer, either) and this morning feeling a little lost. I will bounce back quickly, I'm sure, and I'm so grateful she was able to be here as long as she was. Her roommate flew out from Denver and rented a van here, so they are driving back together. Roommate stayed outside, away from me, while they were loading up. At least the weather across the country this weekend should give them good driving conditions.

I understand !  It's hard to adjust to the change after three months, not to mention you have been through a lot.    I hope it passes quickly and wish  you the very best!   2020 is a sucky year in so many ways!    Take care!

Lexi/Lisa

2020 is almost over.  I think I can confidently say 2021 will be better

Cheers, good luck and good scans.

Peace

Tom

Archived