3 mm nodule on the left lung - ct scan in dec 2020 - rescan to check next year

Karmic108

2019 - DX with breast cancer stage1A, lumpectomy, radiation, in progress hormone therapy

Now I have a 3 mm nodule on the left lung - ct scan in dec 2020 - need to wait for one year to rescan and do biopsy if it grows and see if it is good or bad.

Hi, Karmic, and welcome. 3 mm is SUPER tiny. The vast majority of lung nodules are not cancer--they can be scar tissue from old infections, etc. It does bear keeping an eye on, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

Congrats on surviving your breast cancer! 

Hi Karmic: I was told that nodules below 1 cm are ignored. I also was not aware that they can detect a 3mm accurately  with a CT scan. We keep learning new things every day. In any event that size is nothing to worry about and I am sure it will be  examined again in the next CT scan. Hopefully it won't be there next time around.

Karmic,

Just repeating what my friends have already shared.  The majority of nodules found (~60%) are not cancerous...so, please follow your doctor's orders and follow up scans.

Lou

6 hours ago, Karmic108 said:

2019 - DX with breast cancer stage1A, lumpectomy, radiation, in progress hormone therapy

Now I have a 3 mm nodule on the left lung - ct scan in dec 2020 - need to wait for one year to rescan and do biopsy if it grows and see if it is good or bad.

Just curious, was your BC also on the left side?  Was this your 1st scan?  Because of your bc diagnosis you may have hit the criteria to get annual low dose ct scans.

I think once a person receives a cancer diagnosis of any sort, you spend the rest of your time waiting for the other shoe to drop..  Not everyone mind you, but I am always very anxious around imaging and appointment time.  I had a BC DX in Dec. 2017, stage 2B, lumpectomy, rads, and also on hormone therapy.  I am due for the low dose CT lung scan.  I have a new oncologist so I'm sort of testing him to see if he notices next month when I see him.  Again, I'm scared to go. I don't have an order for one.   I've had 3 so far, and seems every year they find more to write about.   I have a nodule as well.  Wasn't there on the prior 2.  I don't know the size off hand without looking it up.  I always go by scores on these tests. My last one was a LungRads2, so I put it out of my mind.  If there was anything else alarming they would have referred you.  So, try not to worry, it's probably nothing. I just wanted to chime in to let you know I know the feeling.

Good folks here are helpful too.  That's why I'm not too concerned with mine.

Archived