Does anyone have experience regarding cancer and COVID? Dad (lung cancer IV) tested positive

Kwally3

Hi, if you have experienced this, can you share what you went through?

Thankfully his case is minor/mild with just occasional cough and loss of appetite. Hard for us to separate from usual symptoms since his cough would be on and off depending on how long since chemo, and nausea / loss of appetite be present first 10 days after chemo. What's puzzling is that we only leave the house for groceries 1x a week and everyone is masked, including the folks at the grocery stores. . .

edit: for future readers, here is what I found:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31187-9/fulltext

Clinical impact of COVID-19 on patients with cancer (CCC19): a cohort study

Also, we got dad an OTC “cvs pulse oximeter” to track his blood oxygen. For a subset of COVID patients, they get “silent hypoxia” aka you have lung infection and your blood oxygen is low (below 90) but can’t tell because you don’t get shortness of breath, so you don’t know you are in danger. This contributes to some of the sudden crashing during week 2 of disease. NOTE: don’t just rely on this sensor for if you need to see emergency room. IF readings are 90-94, call your doctor. if below 90, call 911 or go to hospital.

Kawally,

Bad luck indeed! I know of one of our members who had COVID and is a lung cancer survivor. She had one lung resected about 16 years ago and while she doesn't recommend the experience, seems to have survived the experience quite well.

I'm sure there are others but this lady is a member of our weekly survivors zoom call.

Hope your dad has an easy go of it.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Kwally,

Same thing for one of our support group members.  Despite everyone being masked up with minimal trips, COVID made its way into their entire household.  What’s ironic though is the Stage IV lung cancer patient had only mild symptoms and his healthy wife got knocked down for a few weeks at home.  
Do you have a pulse oximeter at home to track the O2 levels? 

Michelle

I just bought one and he's at 96 so fingers crossed. Did that person use any other tools? I googled around and it seems like oximeter was the only thing recommended to help supplement tracking of the "emergency go to hospital" danger signs listed on the CDC. The next 2-3 days will be critical as that's when he likely crosses into week 2 of COVID.

@Tom Galliis the weekly zoom calls something sponsored by the local hospital? 

Kwally3,

No, we survivors and caregivers have four Lungevity sponsored zoom calls each week: one on Monday, Wednesday and 2 on Friday. I private messaged you the zoom information. You are most welcome to join us!

Stay the course.

Tom

Archived