An under appreciated asset: The General Practitioner

Tom Galli

I agree. I DO hold the federal government responsible for not having a coordinated plan, but that's a failure in leadership. I'm not even blaming (most) of the people involved in the planning--it's just been a Charlie Foxtrot from the start. 

I do think healthcare providers have to be prioritized, if only because we need to rely on them to keep treating people with COVID and cancer and heart disease and all the other life-threatening conditions being crowded out by resources being diverted to COVID. Apart from that, though, I think getting the vaccine to everyone willing to take it should be the goal. Anyone see that movie, "Contagion"? When they finally developed a vaccine they had a birthday lottery (like the old draft lotteries) and people were scheduled according to their birthdate. Seems as fair as anything else. 

Incidentally, one of the conditions prioritized in NJ is smokers (current or former). You can imagine how popular THAT is. Once again, smokers are demonized--they deserve whatever fate befalls them.

Got a phone call from my Dad over the weekend, my Mother’s oncologist said no vaccine for Mom as she just started Keytruda.  Even though my Dad is eligible at 79, he said if Mom can’t get it he’s not going until she can.   Then he got a a little testy and said don’t be calling helicopter #2 about it (aka my sister). 

On Friday I registered Tim with the County-as a UPS employee for Phase II.  When I told him about it Saturday Morning, he said, I don’t want to get the vaccine until you can get it.  Is this a husband thing?  Definitely not a Jersey thing cause hubby is a British/New Englander. 

The testing roll out was messy & a few months later just driving around my little bubble there are signs everywhere “Get your COVID testing here!”  Same will happen the vaccines, I’m just antsy & ticked about the jailbirds, excuse me residents of congregate settings, & 20 year olds who have already had COVID going first while the KU ICU is full of people like me.   

Hey all Jerseyans-my brother and brother in law in NJ were both complaining today about the vaccine issues. I have no idea what is going on here In GA as 2 docs already said they can’t say for sure if I should get it because of my 3 occasions of anaphylaxis. Seeing the oncologist Thursday so I will get her opinion. Never was in a rush to get it. To me it’s scary. 

Michelle, has Tim considered the fact that to the extent he's immune, he's protecting you, too? At least from any exposure he might encounter being out and about. 

NJ is usually pretty good as far as being progressive goes. I have a feeling we'll be better off than a lot of states in terms of getting the vaccines distributed. 

Oh, yeah. We had that discussion.   He's concerned about the speed of the clinical trials and safety.  I reminded him that I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for a Phase I clinical trial which has never been tested in humans.  I think in the end when the call comes in from the County, he'll get the vaccine.  Our county is so disorganized it's going to be months anyway.  We don't have any vaccination centers and have no idea where we would even go if it were to become available.   There are five counties that make up the KC Metro, two are in KS.  If you live on the MO side, cancer patients are up next. KS has us in Phase 3.  We have a lot of friends in KCMO, so I can imagine unless they are asking for proof of residency, we'll drive 15 minutes over the state line if necessary.   

Michelle:  The plot thickens and the wheels are turning. A person who beats lung cancer will find a way around few county clerks😁. One can only wonder Why there are so many discrepancies among states and local Government.  

Well, last Thursday, here in NC, due to CDC pressure the Governor changed the phase 1 to include all folks 65+.  That afternoon I went online to get an appointment and the earliest I could get was Feb 24th for the first shot and Mar 17th for the second.  At least I'm locked and loaded for that.  I'm not concerned about the trials.  Normally they take years because they are so expensive that companies choose to spread the cost over time to protect cash flow.  In this case the government picked up the tab and committed to buying whatever they could produce.  I'll keep my head low for the time being and bide my time.  In the meantime, my wife (who is in Memory Care) got her first shot vaccine today.  The second will be in three weeks.  And unlike some, I don't blame the Feds on this.  Too many Governors knew this was coming and (like the school situations) did not do what was necessary to prepare.  That would include asking the Feds for more logistical help.  Some also set up such strict (and questionable) guidelines that locations were forced to throw large amounts of unused vaccine away rather than giving them to people who did not "meet the guidelines".  Hopefully they are getting their act together and it will run more smoothly going forward. 

Lou

Archived