I've been in the hospital...

TAnn

Hi everyone,

I've had a rough week to say the least. Chemo is doing quite a number on my body. I had my 5th treatment on Feb. 11th and just like with my 4th treatment, I developed Neutropenic Fever. I went to the ER with a fever on Friday. My wbc were 0.07, I was dehydrated and had alot of congestion. They gave me fluids by IV and antibiotics, and let me go home. When my fever still wasn't gone by Sunday, they admitted me to the hospital. The gave me IV antibiotics and fluids. I also got Nupogen shots to "kick-start" my bone marrow to making more white blood cells.

I had some bad bone pain from those shots!!!

Anyway, I was finally released on Tuesday as my fever finally broke. That was my first hospitalization since being diagnosed. Let's just say I am glad to be home. My husband and my son are glad I'm home too. The guys running the house.....well need I say more!!

I am still weak, but feeling a little better. I am scheduled for my 6th treatment next week and I really do not want it!!! I know that is the wrong attitude, but I am tired of feeling sick. I have more bad days than good. I just want to have energy, and feel "normal" for a while :cry:

I pray every day that they can come up with a treatment that is not pure torture for the patient. You know, "here, take this it will make you feel BETTER!" Not in the world of cancer I guess.

Thanks for listening. It's hard to stay positive when you feel so bad......

TAnn

Hi TAnn,

I have not had any chemo yet but whole brain radiation made me have more bad days than good and I know how you feel.I see some very positive things in your signature though.You do have shrinkage.You only have one more treatment.And you have that wonderful family keeping house and pulling for you along with all of us.I hope and pray that your next and last treatment will not be as bad on you.Keep your chin up.TBone

TAnn,

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble with the chemo .. and yes it IS hard to be positive when you feel like left over meatloaf ... BUT ... if I read your sig right you only have the one last treatment and you have shown shrinkage in the tumor. So hang in there for one last round, ok? The good days ARE coming.

And in the meantime here's a prayer or two that that last round won't hit you so hard.

Dean

Hold on to the fact you have 1 more treatment. After that you WILL start to feel better. It takes a few months to get back going well but it is worth it. Lay back and relax during that time and let the fella's take over. HA. I have daughters and they don't do much better than the boys. :)

Cindy

TAnn,

I'm glad you're near the end of the series... things will get better. Congratulations on tumor reduction! That's really great to see this soon.

The only way is through it and out the other side, so hang in there, and soon it will be just another postscript to the cancer war you're waging... we're all waging.

Hang tough.

XOXOX

MaryAnn

You all have lifted my spirits tremendously! Thank you for the words of encouragement. I guess I have no choice but to go through the last treatment, so I will be brave and carry on......

I guess I need to look at the positive, you all have reminded me of that. I will keep you posted on my progress and thanks for the support :D

TAnn

TAnn,

My husband is going thru Chemo too, taxotere and paraplatin. He is doing really well, and we think its because hes taking supplements, they are doing wonders for him. He hasn't even lost his hair. He only feels a little bad, and he loses his appetite a few days after Chemo, but thats it. He uses Mannatech. Even if you just take a good multi-vitamin it would probably help. If you want more information on the Mannatech, go to the web site and look around. My husbands cousin had breast cancer, with a 60% 5 year survival. She started the supplements and is now in remission. (4 years now) She has since given birth to her first child at 40 years of age. So There is something there. I don't know if anyone has read anything about plant sugars, but they have a patented item called Ambrotose. My husband takes this and the vitamins and amino acids, and his latest report was no new mets any place. He tolerates the Chemo great. I think it would be good to check it out ! Mannatech.com.

TAnn....I had the fevers during chemo for about a week. It took the wind out of my sails too.........I told my husband he'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to get me to another one of those treatments!! But I admit....I cooled down.....listened to my oncologist and finished my chemo on time. The onco docs are trained to deal with those of us having major problems with chemo. Give your doc a chance to adjust the meds or the infusion timing so you don't suffer needlessly. Lean on all the experts here and you'll be feeling more comfortable with everything that's happening to you.

TAnn,

Sorry about the chemo mess, but I know what you mean. I am on steroids also and have gained weight and everyone says how well I look.

HAH! That is the steroids. The list of side effects just keeps growing.

But Chemo is just a temporary stage and then it will be over and I can get

back to somewhat normal:) hopefull. Right now my lymph system is so

swollen I look like a linebacker. But it WILL go away, so just hang in there and know this is only a sidepath.

Hang tough!

Jean

TAnn,

I know what you are feeling, I am dreading my 6th round of chemo, each one leaves me feeling worse than the last one, with lower counts and less energy. But like you I will go. I am soooooo tired of being sick and tired!

Hang in there as hard as it may seem sometimes

Praying for a good outcome for you from this round!

Blessings

Betty

Hi TAnn,

Glad your home and sorry your having such a time with it, :( ;

I do sympathize with ya, I finished WBR and also had a time with it. Yea, the treatment can really be the pits but we really have no choice.

But ya gotta focus on the tumor reduction, thats a real good thing! Know you'll be in my thoughts and prayers, be well and hang in there.

God blless and be well!

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18/03 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick & Frack

PET taken 1/5 - hot spot in mediastinum May be cancer??

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

What scares me about this last treatment is that my onc. DID reduce the dosage of the 5th treatment. If I got that sick and my counts went that low with a reduced dosage, what will the 6th treatment do to me???

I'm just going to enjoy the next few days and see what happens next Wednesday.

TAnn

TAnn,

I hear ya about the males in the house! I was in the hospital for nine :!: days after my surgery...and, well, it wasn't too bad when I FINALLY got to come home - not like I was in any shape to clean it!

My doctor boiled down chemo as simply getting your body as close to death as possible to kill off those nasty cancer cells...if the fifth one was bad, odds are the sixth one will be horrible, too...BUT, why not just get it all over with and behind you as soon as you can - kinda like that cup full of Nyquil...you know you'll feel better after you take it, but the swallow...EWWWW!

Here's hoping you have an easier time of it, that the dosage will be "just right" and you'll pop right back in no time!

Becky