NP's recommendations--lol, WTF???

LexieCat

So I went for another maintenance infusion yesterday and saw my NP (next visit will be with scans and visit to oncologist). My blood counts were OK, but not all the labs had come back before the infusion. So the NP called later when she got the labs back. My sodium is a bit low, so she wants me to have more salt (mind you, I've been trying to watch it because my BP has been running a tad high, plus occasional edema). Also, my magnesium was low, so she recommends more dark chocolate in my diet, as well as cashews. 

So do you think I can write off the cost of my Godiva purchases? Funny thing is, I've been having dark chocolate almost every day, and I totally LOVE (salty) cashews (and almonds), but given my weight gain since I started treatment, I may have to make those my primary dietary intake and cut out the meats and dairy.

In other news, I have cataract surgery scheduled for Feb. 12. That's gonna involve rounding up three rides--from home to outpatient surgical center, from there to ophthalmologist for post-op exam and then home. I'm OK taking ONE Uber or Lyft, but three in one day feels like I'd be pushing my luck (even though I'll have my first COVID vaccine next week). I'll probably put an ask out on FB and see if one or more of my friends could help out. I hate to ask individually and put someone on the spot.

Well, I had to chuckle at this post.  Welcome to the land of fat & happy.  I still look at my breakfast & dinner plates in wonderment, then it’s down the hatch.   Give it a few weeks before Lands End has another 60% off sale & toss your skinny jeans!    Congratulations for being on the road to recovery!

Lexi,

Funny how we get to that certain age and everything falls apart. I also need a cataract surgery but am putting it off till I have 2 vaccines on board. I've been eating almonds for low magnesium blood level for about 10 years. I also take 1,000mg/day of Magnesium to avoid muscle cramps. These work for me.

Stay the course,

Tom

I was taking a combo of calcium and magnesium, together with a Vitamin D3 for, my osteoporosis, but my NP switched that out for a calcium/D3 combo that is by prescription. Whatev, I don't mind the additional infusion.

My NP had no concerns about my having the surgery now--my vision has been bothering me and she says lots of their patients get the surgery with no problem. In addition to the first COVID vaccine shot, I'll be getting a COVID test right before the procedure. 

Oh, and Michelle--I'm a Levi's gal all the way. I do have some knit elastic waist/drawstring pants I bought on Amazon and have been wearing. I have a couple larger pair of jeans I bought a month or two ago, which I'll break out when I start going out more. I'm determined it's the last larger pair I buy. I've replaced my entire wardrobe due to hard-won weight loss TWICE in the past 30 years, and I vowed the last time would be the last time.

@LexieCat, your cataract surgery should be routine and quick, and I hope all goes well. Now I don't feel guilty about my dark chocolate obsession, and it's good to know about the added health benefits. Congrats on your vaccine. Here in CA, I am still waiting for 65+ to be eligible. Good luck! 

Hi Lexi: I had cataract surgery on both eyes. I have Degenerative myopia in both eyes with one more severe than the other. You will discover a new world once you have it done but beware of the glare. You will have some adjusting to do unless doubling up on dark chocolate will tame the glare. Good luck.

I've worn glasses since third grade, and my eyesight has deteriorated pretty steadily since. I have myopia, astigmatism, (and now, presbyopia), in addition to the cataracts. I wear progressive Transitions lenses except when I'm on the computer and haven't had much trouble with glare up to now. I DO have pretty severe dry eye and I think I'll need eyelid surgery before too long (lids beginning to droop).

I'm told I'll probably need new glasses after the cataract surgery. I have a cataract in my right eye, too. Historically, my vision in my left eye has always been significantly better than the right, but now I can tell it's getting much worse. I imagine I'll be doing the right eye before too long, but no rush there (so far).

I ALSO have a family history of macular degeneration (dad and his mother, both), so I take supplements to stave that off--and my optometrist says the early signs of that condition have improved over the past couple of years. 

Lexie.

I know you do a lot of work on the computer. My ophthalmologist fixed me up with special glasses with transitions that allow me to optimally view my computer screen. I started being bothered by bad dry eye and mouth symptoms a couple of years ago and blood work revealed Sojgren's syndrome. Now I use drops at least 3 times per day, and especially before I go to bed and a special mouth rinse to combat the dry mouth symptoms.

Getting old is a major pain....

Stay the course.

Tom

Lexie,

Okay, so let me get this straight...dark chocolate...salty...nuts...OMG...I'm already thinking Turtles, but your NP didn't include caramel in that list, did she?  Some of your posts bring a smile to my face, your outlook is great.  My advice, skip all the veggies...go with meat, chocolate and nuts.  :)

Years ago I developed an unusual cataract in one eye and had to have it operated on.  It was not terrible, but it developed a layer of cells and I had to go back where they zapped the lens with a laser and that cleared it up.  Overall I'm good now.  It should not be any kind of strain on you, but you will need the rides.

Lou

Cataract surgery must be the up and coming thing! I'm due for it too, but waiting until I can get my COVID vaccine.  Oregon's vaccine roll-out isn't a model of efficiency, to put it mildly.There's a committee of 27 working on phases boyond 1a. We're very big on "process" here. There's a lot of vaccine here that hasn't been given. I wish they'd get it in to SOMEBODY. 

LexieCat, let me know how your surgery goes. Everybody I know who's had it says it's a piece of cake and the results are definitely worth it. 

I wear single-distance lenses only for computer/tablet usage--I get the lenses that filter out the blue light from the screen. MUCH easier on the eyes, and easier on my neck, too, because I don't have to hold my head in the "sweet spot" where I can see the screen properly. The regular progressive lenses work great for me in all other circumstances, but didn't work great for long hours on computer.

I wear progressives also. When I had a job that included a lot of computer time, I got single vision lenses for the same reason. My neck was much happier. At home, in my favorite chair, my laptop iin my lap is the perfect spot for my progressives, soI don't have to switch.

It was probably not intended to but this string made me smile. Getting older is not for the faint of heart! I don't have cataracts (yet!) but oh do I need some new glasses. I'll get my second vaccine tomorrow so in about 5 weeks, I'll start back up with appointments I let slide over the last 11 months. 

BTW - my optometrist kept a close watch on me during chemo. Apparently one of the combos I was on can cause permanent damage. Chemo - the gift that keeps on giving.

My ophthalmologist is a cancer survivor (forget what kind). He doesn't seem to think any of this has anything to do with my treatment--though the reason I'm seeing him in the first place is the fact that I accidentally injured my eye with a pin I was removing from a medical-alert bracelet I was shortening. Without his monitoring my eyes right now I probably wouldn't have a clue about the cataracts--I'd just be frustrated that my eyesight was worsening. 

I'm told I WILL need new glasses post-surgery, though, so I'll feel safer about going into Lenscrafters after I'm vaccinated. I'm glad I hadn't replaced my glasses before I discovered I need surgery.

Lexie,

If getting rides from friends doesn't work out, I have gotten an uber driver's number before and arranged rides later with the same driver.  Maybe you could talk to the first driver and see if you could book them for all of your rides that day?  Good luck with the surgery, hope you have a speedy recovery!

I think I'm in good shape, ride-wise, thanks (good suggestion, though). I posted an "ask" on FB, and two of my friends who have flexible schedules have offered to help. Both have offered to do all three rides, though one is closer to where I live, so it might be a bit easier for her, at least for the first/last ride. They know each other, so I think I'll let them figure it out in terms of what makes sense. I just didn't want someone to have to spend a whole day driving Miss Daisy. 

Update: Coordinated with two of my friends. The one who lives/works closest is gonna take me to surgery in the morning and the other friend is gonna pick me up from surgery, take me to Dr.'s office, and then take me home.  I love it when a plan comes together. And I feel better about asking for help when I feel like it's not all falling on one person. 

10 hours ago, LexieCat said:

Thanks, Tom, but the surgery isn't until 2/12. I'll keep the good luck in my pocket till then. :) 

😁

Archived