One shot down, one to go!

LexieCat

I know this was important to me--the last few nights I've had dreams I forgot to go to my appointment and missed my shot. Kinda like those dreams I STILL have about forgetting to go to class or forgetting to study for the exam. 

I gotta say, Camden County NAILED it in terms of their distribution system. Easy to make the appointment; got a bar code for check-in; easy to find the location on campus; parking less than a minute's walk from the gym where they gave the shots; pleasant, helpful staff; comfortable area to wait 15 minutes after shot; scheduling for next shot on the way out the door. And the whole mood/tone was upbeat--everyone looked happy to be there.  I'd arrived 15 minutes before my scheduled appointment (just in case there was a wait) and I was out of there less than half an hour after I arrived.

I DID get the Moderna, so next shot is 2/26. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our vaccine process, run by Sharp Healthcare, was also very efficient. It took longer to walk to and from the car than the wait. The mood was very upbeat. I've also registered for the CDC's V-safe program which collects data about side effects. I just have a sore arm, that's it. Congrats! 

So far, no side effects to speak of. I was wondering whether they actually DID stick me with the needle, since I didn't even feel like my arm was sore, but when I woke during the night/this morning, I felt mild soreness/stiffness right where the injection was. Still, far less pain than I normally feel from a flu shot. And no other aches/feverishness. 

Judy, I signed up for V-Safe, too, so I can report my experience. I think the more of us who get the shot with no problem, the more people will feel comfortable getting it. 

One of my friends on FB thanked me for being a "role model"--I told her I appreciated it, but I was really acting out of naked self-interest. Still, one can be an accidental role model by simply doing the right/smart thing. If I inspire a couple of people to go ahead and get the shot, that's how we get past the vaccine hesitancy (apart from people who are determined anti-vaxxers).

I hope everyone who needs/wants the vaccine can get it soon.

large.IMG_0555.jpeg.5a86c0e49016b3fba933ec2b5f95999c.jpeg

In my over-55 community, the big topic of discussion is who has been able to "score" an appointment. Even my Covid-denying neighbors got theirs. I am jealous that you got a sticker/button though!

FYI, they suggested that we take a photo front and back of the vaccination card. 

P.S.  My 99 YO father who is allergic to everything got his shot a couple of weeks ago, and although the nurse left an epi-pen, nothing happened. I don't know which shot he got. 

Good idea to take a photo of the card. It was suggested to me that once I get the second shot I have it laminated (also a good idea, but the photo would be a good backup in case it gets lost). Thanks for the tip!

I had registered with a local pharmacy where  friend of my daughter's works. I got a call yesterday. They apparently had leftover shots. But, I am 62 with stage iv lung cancer and I am not eligible.

Jennedy,

Most states are 65+ now and my understanding is that they try to get leftover vaccine into someone's arm.  Why wouldn't they consider you?

Lou

Jennedy,

I get it...what a shame.  NC was 75 until the new guidelines came out and then they moved down to 65.  But you're younger than that so you'd need to be the "extra arm" they need in order to get the shot earlier.  I really hope you get the call to go down and get it.

Lou

As much as everyone (including New Jerseyans) love to complain about NJ, when it comes to a lot of situations (laws/policies), it is pretty darned progressive. To me, the only real downside to living here (other than the tax situation--which funds the progressive policies I appreciate) is that my family is all in Colorado. Other than that, there's a lot to like--including proximity to Philadelphia, NYC, and DC.

I received my second dose on Tuesday. The process for this round was much better than the first. I did experience side effects with this dose. I had nausea on Tuesday and most of Wednesday. I also had fever and chills on Wednesday. Woke up Thursday morning back to 100%. This is a tiny price to pay to FINALLY get back to some semblance of normalcy. According to materials I ready, the Moderna shot reaches full efficacy at 6 - 8 weeks after the first dose which puts me at the end of February. I have a haircut scheduled for the end of February - first one in a year!

Roger that Lexie,  as a Jersey native, I still reserve the right to gripe about it, especially with my whole family there.  Mom and Dad live up North in Essex County where it's a crazy show....   One of my sister's customers who is a real estate agent was bragging last week about getting the first vaccine dose because she had a podiatrist friend.  My sister doesn't say much of anything about my LC to her professional colleagues,  blew up at this lady cause she jumped the line.  She practically accused her customer of killing me off.  I'll take any type of advocacy we can get at this point!   

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the email scheduling my 2nd shot for next Thursday! Very excited and pleased that the system works. 

Oh, and my 9/11 law firm is trying to get vaccine priority for 9/11 survivors with health issues nationwide (regardless of age). Impressive. 

I'm happy & sad at the same time. Last week CVS was going to start giving out appointments on Thursday, we got up at 5am because they start at 7am EST. My wife had us both signed up but only mine took, she was kicked out of the system and by the time she got back in the supply was gone. I had a sore arm after the shot but it got better as the day went on. The next day I still had a little soreness but had a dull headache for most of the day and the lazy's. Slept 10 hours the second night and the next day all was well. We should be getting more in the next few days because of the bad weather here in Texas so I'll be up at 5am trying.

Incidentally, I mentioned my vaccination status to my oncologist last week. He was happy to hear it, but he also wanted to give me a heads-up that the second shot might knock me on my butt. He said that's what happened to him--he was great after the first shot, and then the second one made him feel like crap, but only for a day or so. He said not to worry--he just didn't want me to freak out if it happened to me. My infusion nurse, who actually had COVID back in August, told me she had the same experience--the first shot was easy, the second one a bit rougher. 

Seems like that's a pretty common experience.

Lexie,

My doctor (41 and healthy) had the same experience.  First shot, no problem, but the second one had him in bed for a day and home for a second and then he felt fine.  I get my second one on March 9th, so we'll see what happens.  I know a number of folks in my Alzheimer's group who have had both without incident.  Let's hope for that outcome.  :)

Lou

I had the second shot one day after I had infusion. I don't know who/what  to blame but I had a rough 3 to 4 days where I was very sleepy, tired, lost my appetite and got dizzy when I stood up. Thank God I am over that now.

My husband and I got our first shot today. Two people didn't go for their second shots because they're getting them in another state, so we got the call. More than happy to take those leftovers!

I have an appointment to get my first vaccine dose this coming Thursday. Oregon is way behind on getting the shots to seniors and the process is not user-friendly. On the day my age group (75+) became eligible , I got on line early. On the site advertised, I found a place to "sign up"  to get an account,  but it kept telling me to "verify my e-mail,"  but no clue on how to do that. Finally I determined that they had sent me an email with a code, so I got an account, but found noplace to get an appointment, only a link to another site,  but I was not able to find anyplace on that site to get an appointment, only a link back to the first site.. 

There was a number for phone help. After 6 minutes of "press 1 for..., press 2 for..., etc. I got a robo message that they were very busy and I could hold or get a call back. I was not optimistic, but chose call back. Six hours later, I got a call back. Glad I didn't choose to hold.  The agent told me I did not have the requisite account, apparently I had signed up for the wrong one, but she actually DID make an appointment for me! Yay! 

A couple of days later, I got an e-mail from my HMO with instructions of how to sign up-- in other words, how to get through the advertised site, get the RIGHT account and then find a way to the appointment schedule. 

And they wonder why they're not getting vaccines to underserved communities!

Sorry for my rant. I get annoyed just thinking about this, I wonder whether I'll actually get a shot on Thursday and what that process will be like?

Don't even THINK about skipping the shot, Bridget! The actual distribution will be run by medical pros, not the techs who designed the website. Actually, many new websites have these kinds of bugs--they just don't have the serious implications that problems with a site like this do. 

And HOPEFULLY--this is how it seems to work most places--they can make the appointment for the second shot then and there--you won't have to go through this ordeal twice. 

I'm sorry it was so difficult/frustrating for you. It took me a few tries before I was able to nail down my appointment, but once I did, it all went like clockwork.

Archived