One shot down, one to go!

LexieCat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BridgetO said:

I'll definitely be there for the shot and I hope the shot will be there for me! I just needed to vent. Thanks for the encouragement, Tom and Teri.

I figured it was just venting, but didn't wanna take any chances, lol. We need you around here!

On 1/29/2021 at 4:56 PM, LexieCat said:

I know this was important to me--the last few nights I've had dreams I forgot to go to my appointment and missed my shot. Kinda like those dreams I STILL have about forgetting to go to class or forgetting to study for the exam. 

I gotta say, Camden County NAILED it in terms of their distribution system. Easy to make the appointment; got a bar code for check-in; easy to find the location on campus; parking less than a minute's walk from the gym where they gave the shots; pleasant, helpful staff; comfortable area to wait 15 minutes after shot; scheduling for next shot on the way out the door. And the whole mood/tone was upbeat--everyone looked happy to be there.  I'd arrived 15 minutes before my scheduled appointment (just in case there was a wait) and I was out of there less than half an hour after I arrived.

I DID get the Moderna, so next shot is 2/26. 

I swear that I've found my "twin" in you!  We're both kind of on a similar path LC-wise.  But I too got my first COVID shot (Pfizer) and will be getting my second one on Feb. 26th!  The Avera Cancer Center in Marshall has my back, that's for sure!  Congrats on getting your shots!  

Bridget,

I believe you're getting your shot today and I'm so glad to hear it.  After watching my wife go through this disease I will encourage anybody I can to take the vaccine.  I was glad to see that you would.  But, (being a dad) I'd love to hear how it went for you.  :)

Lou

I got the shot a couple of hours ago. The mass vaccination site at the Oregon Convention Center was very efficiently run. A lot of people were there for shots,  there were no delays or bottlenecks and the staff, including the National Guard, were cheerful. My shot was given by a doctor, and when I showed surprise that a doctor would be giving shots, she said, " Oh, this is fun!"

Bridget O

YAY! I was just reading an article this morning about how happy medical professionals are to be giving out vaccines. Several of them reported it was such a relief to be doing something positive for people, rather than trying desperately to save them. It was certainly reflected in the site I went to--everyone was smiling and joking around. 

I get my #2 shot tomorrow. Do you have an appointment, Bridget, for your second shot?

Just got our 2nd Moderna shots. The atmosphere was like a party, and the volunteers said they were really happy to be helping out. Everyone is looking forward to the future. The process was well managed, and I've already gotten my V-safe notification from the CDC to check side effects. 

LexieCat--Yep I got my second appointment set!   A person with a computer came around and set second appointments while we were having our 15 minute wait after the shot. I wish they were as efficient setting up the first appointment as they were at the clinic. 

My mother (87) just got her second shot.  Currently my state is in phase 1B and I'm 1C.  I keep looking at the website hoping to see a change in the tier but alas not yet.

Wow-congratulations all!  Meanwhile here is KS, cancer patients are still at the back of the line with no light at the end of the tunnel.  It’s a total cluster.  Happy for you guys that are making progress!  

I'm sorry, Michelle (and ChiMama)--wish I could mail you both a couple of shots. There are quite a few people here who have managed to score "leftover" shots when people don't make their scheduled appointments, or when they stock more vaccine than they have patients show up. Nothing wrong with that--they would otherwise go to waste. Is that a possibility in KS and AZ?

I’ve looked into leftovers, but here’s the kicker, in my county they will not publish what times the vaccine centers close.  They’ve made the whole process super difficult, there’s many over 80 who haven’t gotten a shot.  Pathetic. 

So not much noticeable effect yesterday, but I woke up early this morning with chills and every joint in my body hurting. I don't feel "sick" otherwise and the chill seems to have dissipated  already. I took the Tylenol arthritis formula (which I'd been taking for the hip pain but stopped a couple days ago since I'd read it's best not to be taking pain relievers before the shot). The same articles said it's fine to take them once you've had the shot, so hopefully I feel better soon. 

Even if this lasts for 2-3 days, it will totally have been worth it. 

Effects virtually gone today. Slight soreness of arm, mild aches (apart from the right hip, which is at least feeling a bit better with Tylenol). I think by tomorrow I'll have zero effect from the vaccine.

I've been reading some articles about the anti-vaxxers. Apparently the latest nonsense is that people are freaking out about the possibility of receiving a transfusion of blood donated by someone who's been vaccinated. When it is pointed out that people donate blood all the time while infected with various viruses and such, this fear apparently boils down to the belief the vaccine causes genetic alterations.

Congrats to everyone who has received a Vaccine!  

Sadly, there are still FAR TOO many Lung Cancer patients who have NOT been vaccinated just because they happen to live in a State that has not prioritized Lung Cancer patients and that is absolutely heartbreaking and in my opinion totally wrong.

I live in MA and finally had my first Pfizer shot last weekend, but NOT through the State, because they have failed miserably are rolling out the vaccine and have a website that constantly crashes or makes it impossible to find an open appointment.

My husband and I totally lucked out and found slots in a local clinic that had originally been set up for those 75+ and up.  When it did not fill up, the night before the opened it up to anyone currently eligible.  Our local Mayor posted this update on her page and two friends (thankfully) called me and my husband (age 65) and I were able to both get in and we feel extremely lucky.   

MA has done a terrible job and received a "failing grade", but it's NOT just.   PLEASE do all you can to advocate FOR all those who still can not get a vaccine.   

Best wishes,

Lisa

On 2/26/2021 at 11:19 AM, Rower Michelle said:

I’ve looked into leftovers, but here’s the kicker, in my county they will not publish what times the vaccine centers close.  They’ve made the whole process super difficult, there’s many over 80 who haven’t gotten a shot.  Pathetic. 

Michelle,

I hate that this has been such a struggle for you, and I went through the same thing, only lucked out because of a local clinic.   Something needs to be done so that ALL HIGH risk patients are moved up!   #Vaccniate the Vulnerable!!  NOW

My state opened up appointments for 55+ at noon today.  The next category of eligibility was supposed to be all adults with pre-existing conditions but they changed it. I feel for the people under 55 with health issues who thought they were almost there. 🙁

It was like getting tickets to a Queen concert, try refresh try again, for an hour but then they added more dates and I snagged one!  YES!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Now that 2 weeks have passed since our second shot, we were finally able to get the electrician in to do some much-needed work in our kitchen. It seems like such a milestone to do something normal again!

Archived