One shot down, one to go!

LexieCat

Hi Gang,

There’s a lot going on right now... life is a little overwhelming BUT I wanted to tell ya that I GOT MY FIRST COVID VACCINE!  KS is still bringing up the rear BIG TIME.  Fellow advocates in the Prostate Cancer Network came to the rescue and helped me find an appointment over the state line in MO.  

It was at a local hospital, super slick process, was actually in and out before my actual appointment time. We arrived 30 minutes early to avoid any snafus & the nurses said come right up.  I got the Pfizer dose.  The second appointment was scheduled for April 1st, I thought that was hilarious.   

Any KS cancer patient under the age of 65 is SOL, so I will keep up the advocacy when the dust settles.  

Michelle

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LexieCat said:

Supposedly the President will announce tonight that the states should make the vaccine available to all adults by May 1. 

He just announced it. 

1 minute ago, Judy M2 said:

He just announced it. 

So I figure between now and then, more and more will be opening up the vaccines--especially with the new J & J coming on board.

I have a friend who was in the trial for the J & J vaccine (Rutgers was a partner in the testing), and she just got a call this week informing her that she received the actual vaccine and not the placebo--so she was able to cancel her scheduled appointment.

I made it a point to thank her for being a guinea pig for the rest of us--unlike cancer trials, people don't join vaccine trials hoping to save their own lives. It's a pretty selfless thing to do.

Got my first shot yesterday. Pfizer. Sore arm and a little tired but otherwise AOK. It was at the big drive-through site at Cardinals Stadium here in AZ. Very efficient operation, I was in and done in 30 minutes.

Driving up to the site I got SO emotional - a weird combination of feelings.  Trepidation - I haven't had any vaccine in 30+ years except a tetanus and that was ages ago too. Excitement - the end of the tunnel! And a bunch of others. Was tearful through the whole thing and intermittently the rest of the day.

@ChiMama, oh the excitement. We are planning to resume weekly parties with our small group of friends and also a trip to visit friends in AZ when travel is allowed. Just being able to plan is uplifting! 

Well I got my 2nd Moderna shot this morning, so far so good. The 1st shot made my arm sore immediately this one nothing yet. Let's see what the rest of the day and tomorrow brings. My wife gets her 2nd on the 30th then we will both have had our 2nd shot.

Yay! Last Friday was the two-week mark from my second shot. I celebrated by going grocery shopping in person for the first time since last August. Turns out that, as I suspected, there were a whole bunch of goodies I'd been craving that were persistently not listed on the shop-at-home website. 

Tomorrow, getting my hair cut!

I have no clue if there's any connection, but it felt like I slept more soundly, and woke up feeling more cheerful, than I have in months.

Lookin' good!

I get my second shot on Thursday. My wife gets her first shot today.  I gave her a haircut a couple of weeks ago. Doesn't look bad if you don't look too closely.  I have my "pandemic do", which is more hair than I've had since before I lost my hair from chemo in 2011. 

Other news: I saw the eye surgeon yesterday and I'm "on the list" for cataract surgery. It will probably be in a couple of months.

Yeah, I think with it this short I may need more frequent trims, but will be nice to give up the dye, worrying about root touchups, etc. This was actually the perfect time to grow out gray hair, if one were so inclined.

Will look forward to hearing how your cataract surgery goes. I think I scared Tom with my experience. I see the retinal doc this week so we'll see how that goes.

Love the new 'do! I'm about to call my hairdresser for my first appointment since Nov. 2019. My hair has finally grown in after chemo. No more coloring for me either. Just short and easy to handle. 

Lexie,

You look great.  I'm almost a week after my 2nd shot so another to go and then I will be "fully vaccinated" (a nice term).  I don't know that my life will change much.  I've been going shopping and all for some time and do visit some of my friends from the Alzheimer's Caregiver Group...but we're all super safe, masked and distant.  Anyway, if all is as they say we should be able to relax a bit soon.

Lou

I'm by no means relaxing too much--I mask up, wash hands, use sanitizer, keep my distance. It's more like I now feel fairly safe doing a few things that aren't strictly necessary (like going INTO a store or getting my hair cut), as long as I'm otherwise cautious. I don't feel like I'm taking my life in my hands taking a chance on doing them, if you know what I mean. I'm dearly hoping that travel will be possible/reasonable by Christmas so I can visit my family in Colorado.

I have a feeling it will be a while longer before concerts and theater venues open up again--that's the other thing I miss most.

Archived