Small Cell Carcinoma

LadyCrone

I was diagnosed with small cell carcinoma last month. I had pneumonia in late November, when the area of concern showed its ugly head. I didn't go to my pulmonologist until over a month later, when I wasn't improving much from the pneumonia. He ordered a CT scan then a biopsy. Now I'm exhibiting symptoms are spread to the bones. I have yet to have a single treatment. 

Looking for hope I guess. Or brutal honesty

So sorry. Take a deep breath. I will never forget the impact of my own diagnosis and how lost I felt. Rest assured that there is hope. I started to feel more in control once I had a treatment plan, hopefully you will as well.

This place has been a godsend for me and it can be for you as well. I assume the biopsy results are back since you know it is small cell.  There are numerous small cell survivors who I am sure will be posting soon. I have Large cell and it is treated similar to small cell. Depending on where it is and if it has spread will determine the likely treatment options. I had a lobectomy followed by Chemo and then radiation.  None of it was as bad as I had feared. I am 1 year in and feeling pretty good. Again, there is a lot of hope now compared to just a few years ago.

Ask any questions you have and if possible provide some more detail.

Your in my thoughts. Trying to be both honest and hopeful.

Peace

Tom

Welcome and sorry to read about your diagnosis. Yes for lung cancer patients  hope is our best friend but with so many new treatments and procedures we always have a chance. I hope you are seeing an oncologist or better yet a cancer center where they do a biopsy and then a biomarker test to look for mutations. If not please do so and do it quickly because the sooner that happens the sooner you begin treatment.  I wish you the best.

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  Here is Small Cell Lung Cancer 101 to give you as much information as possible: https://lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/lung-cancer-101/types-of-lung-cancer/small-cell-lung-cancer-sclc

Do you know what your treatment plan will be?

Lady,

Welcome here. Today I celebrate 17 years of surviving Stage IV lung cancer. While not small cell, I had an extremely difficult treatment routine. My bottom line about lung cancer is if I can live, so can you.

Small cell is staged at limited and extensive. From your post, I conclude metastasis to the bones implies extensive stage. The treatment that is making a difference in small cell is immunotherapy. Here is some information about immunotherapy that might be helpful.

Sometimes folks have radiation (SBRT) to deal with bone mets. So you may wish to ask your doctor about that kind of treatment for the spread to your bones. Here is information about radiation as a treatment method.

I normally pass this information along to the newly diagnosed. This is a great place for your questions.

Stay the course.

Tom

Archived