Lung nodule 9mm

Julia g

A 9mm x 6mm lung nodule in right middle lobe was incidentally found on my CT scan. Radiologist did not document the composition of the nodule so I don’t know if it’s solid, subsolid, etc? very vague in her report. 
Anyone else experience this? 

Are you diagnosed/being treated or screened for lung cancer? Or was the CT scan for something else?

I'd suggest consulting with a pulmonologist, if this is an incidental finding. They are the experts on lung nodules.

FWIW, the majority of nodules are not cancer--they are scar tissue/inflammation, etc. They bear watching, but aren't necessarily anything to worry about.

OK, in that case, you definitively want to hook up with a pulmonologist. That's who managed my lung cancer screening that led to my first diagnosis. I had a few nodules, they had me come back in a few months and there were no changes, so scheduled to come back in a year. At that point one nodule had grown and developed a suspicious appearance (later confirmed, after surgery, to be adenocarcinoma). 

Three years later, I was diagnosed as Stage IV due to growth/consolidation of areas of my other lung (along with lymph nodes and a small bone met). But I have many other nodules that were there from the beginning, just hanging out, unchanged. 

So the point is you will have to investigate further and probably continue to follow that nodule. It may be harmless, but a pulmonologist is in the best position to follow it.

I agree with LexieCat about seeing a pulmonologist. He/she should look at the actual CT images and not just the radiologist report. They'll be able to tell you more about your nodule and what you need to do for followup.

Agree with what Lexicat and BridgetO said.  I had a similar situation, in a CT I had for colon cancer, a 9mm nodule was seen in my upper left lobe.  I was referred to a pulmonologist and it was put on the  "watch list" since CC often metastasizes to the lungs and she felt it was too small to biopsy.  She said it could be any number of things, most benign, and so it was scrutinized every 3 to 6 months and remained fairly stable.  After 4 years it appeared to grow to 1.1mm so the decision was made to biopsy.  The good news was it was not related to the colon cancer... the not-so-good news was it was non-small cell LC so I had surgery to remove it in July.

A pulmonologist should be able to tell the characteristics of the nodule and guide you for followup.

I have a stable 6mm right apical pulmonary nodule. It's called out on my PET/CT scan reports but is too small to characterize. My oncologist just watches it but there has been no growth in several months. 

All

If you go the watch and see route, which is fine, be careful if you change insurers or PC doctors. A couple of scans showing no growth and you start to feel its nothing and stop getting scanned.

My 1.2 cm begnin nodule from 2004 turned into a 4cm Large Cell Neoecrodin tumor. I should have been screened annually but hadnt checked it in years (and even tho I should have been in 2015 when I went back to my original insurer). I also had to suggest it because I couldn't kick what I thought was pneumonia late 2019. So in early 2020 I learned my life was going to change.

No one can explain to me how a begnin nodule can become cancerous 15 years later. Lawyers will find out.

Peace

Tom

PS. I did get xrays done for a few years after but was told no change. Per my PET scan results my pulmonologist at the time had indicated a CAT scan three years out (which I did not know) yet it was never ordered.

Well, FWIW, after my lobectomy for what was then Stage Ib adenocarcinoma, I was getting scans every six months. A number of apparently benign nodules were being followed with no change. On the scan scheduled on my three-year anniversary, though, all of a sudden there was a significant change and I was Stage IV, with spread to lymph nodes AND a bone met in my sacrum.

So, just sayin'. Following closely is no guarantee something isn't going on somewhere that will suddenly be quite serious.

Lung cancer is unpredictable enough that anything can happen. 

I have a 9mm nodule in left middle lobe that was found by random ct 2 years ago.  I was freaked out to say the least, 54 and former smoker.  I got a pet scan 2 weeks later and no uptake so I got a pulmonologist and because of the good pet scan we decided to follow it.  I have had 4 scans and they all have been good with no change so my pulmonologist is pretty confident it’s benign.  To be on the safe side I will be getting a yearly scan.  This forum Is amazing. Take care 

10 hours ago, Lisa L said:

I have a 9mm nodule in left middle lobe that was found by random ct 2 years ago.  I was freaked out to say the least, 54 and former smoker.  I got a pet scan 2 weeks later and no uptake so I got a pulmonologist and because of the good pet scan we decided to follow it.  I have had 4 scans and they all have been good with no change so my pulmonologist is pretty confident it’s benign.  To be on the safe side I will be getting a yearly scan.  This forum Is amazing. Take care 

Hey, Lisa, good to hear from you! You sound much calmer these days about just following the damn thing. Be sure you do that, but there's a good chance you'll never have an issue. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions. I have had another Chest CT as the nodule was found incidentally on a CT Urogram. Radiologist recommends  PET/CT scans and/or biopsy in three months. I am waiting for a referral to Stanford Lung Nodule surveillance program. Another finding on Chest CT was bibasilar Atelectasis in both Lower lobes. Anyone else have this? I have read various reasons for this but most don't fit for me. 

Sounds like a question for a pulmonologist. Presumably you'll be seeing one as part of the nodule surveillance program. To the best of my knowledge it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with lung cancer.

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions. I have had another Chest CT as the nodule was found incidentally on a CT Urogram. Radiologist recommends  PET/CT scans and/or biopsy in three months. I am waiting for a referral to Stanford Lung Nodule surveillance program. Another finding on Chest CT was bibasilar Atelectasis in both Lower lobes. Anyone else have this? I have read various reasons for this but most don't fit for me. 

Yes LexieCat the nodule survelliance program has an interdisciplinary team with interventional pulmonologist, thoracic surgeon, oncologist and radiologist. Thanks for your input :)

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2021 at 5:22 PM, LexieCat said:

Well, FWIW, after my lobectomy for what was then Stage Ib adenocarcinoma, I was getting scans every six months. A number of apparently benign nodules were being followed with no change. On the scan scheduled on my three-year anniversary, though, all of a sudden there was a significant change and I was Stage IV, with spread to lymph nodes AND a bone met in my sacrum.

So, just sayin'. Following closely is no guarantee something isn't going on somewhere that will suddenly be quite serious.

Lung cancer is unpredictable enough that anything can happen. 

Hi Lexie,

Would you share if there any symptoms that you noticed when all of a sudden the stage changed to IV? Much appreciated. 

Nope, none. I've never had any symptoms of lung cancer. Recently I've noticed a mild cough and less lung capacity than I had, but it's a year later (from when I was diagnosed as Stage IV) at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

@LexieCat I know you are finishing your trial soon and have been dealing with so much with super GRIT!!!! I've been silently cheering for you from California. So happy you are getting out of jail soon :) 

Keep going strong!!

Archived