Experiences with Zometa (zoledronic acid) for bone mets or other conditions (e.g., osteoporosis)

LexieCat

Just wondering whether anyone else currently posting is getting infusions of Zometa (zoledronic acid), either for bone mets or for other bone conditions like osteoporosis. I know there have been posts about it in the past, but haven't seen any lately (other than my own). I have (or, rather--hopefully--HAD) a small 7mm lesion on my sacrum, presumed to be a bone met based on the SUV when I had my PET-CT last year. I also have osteoporosis, for which I was taking Boniva. The Boniva was a once-a-month pill, but my oncologist wanted to substitute Zometa, which is given by infusion about every three months. I just received my second dose--the first was November 20.  Starting around December 5, I began getting bad pain in my lower back, which got progressively worse, to the point where I needed oxycodone just to lie on the table for my CT scan. The pain suddenly disappeared a few days later. I'd done nothing to injure it and it seemed there were only two possibilities: that I had somehow hurt it in my sleep, or that it was related to the Zometa (which can cause bone, joint, or muscle pain).

Now, after receiving my second infusion of Zometa on February 9, I've been getting severe pain in my right leg/hip. There were a couple of days where I could hardly walk or go upstairs. It's been a little bit better the past couple of days--off and on, better, then worse. My NP referred me to my PCP, who will order an MRI. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my left hip (the other side) 2-3 years ago, and I've been taking Meloxicam for that, but that seems to do nothing for this sudden pain on the right side.

Just wondering whether anyone else had been having pain issues while taking Zometa.

Archived