Introduction...3.5 cm Right Lower Lobe mass

KM_NRP

Kris,

You are coming through pretty well.  Stay strong and "YES" chest tubes can sometimes be the most uncomfortable part of the surgery.  I had a run-in with one and lost, but that's another story for another time.  Continue to take care of yourself and do all you can to recover at a healthy pace.  I leave the decisions about the radiation follow up to you and your oncologist.  Since I have no experience with it myself, there is little I can offer.  

Lou

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone, 

I'm a young and healthy 56 year old that went to ER due to crazy pain in my arms and chest.  All heart related tests came back fine but the xray showed a 23mm nodule on my right lobe.  This is a shock to me.  I've never smoked and consider myself a healthy person.  After receiving this news, I had to wait 2 weeks for my primary care dr. to return from vacation before I could get authorized for a CT scan.  My results from CT scan (a little over 2 weeks later) now shows a 2.5 by 2.6 cm mass on my lobe.  So, while I'm not a dr., it seems to me that my nodule is now being referred to as a mass in the report.  They recommend a Pet Scan next.  This is scary as hell.  I haven't told anyone about it, waiting for a more definitive diagnosis.  "IF" this is cancer, do any of you have recommendations on how/where to find the best doctors for further treatment?

Hi Debbie,

I’m pretty new to this forum myself, and I understand your worry and concerns. I’m sorry you are going through this and am sure you want to get on this right away.

I don’t know how close you are to NYC, but I am currently working with a fabulous Pulmonologist and Cardio-Thoracic surgeon at New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell. I started at NYU Langone in Manhattan, and they too have highly skilled Pulmonologists and Surgeons. Both Hospitals have doctors that work together in a group effort in providing you with full service care.

the members of this forum have been so helpful. A wonderful group of knowledgeable people.

I believe your post is on a thread of a previous poster though. You may want to repost under your name in this section to be seen sooner. I am sure you will get more responses that way. My best to you. And if you decide to come to NYC for scans or treatment I can give you names.

take care,

Lori

Debbie,

Welcome to our forums.  We're sorry you find yourself here, but glad you found us.  Okay you have a nodule about an inch wide, but you're not yet diagnosed with cancer.  The PET scan can provide some more information if the nodule has a strong uptake of the radiated sugar, but the real tool for diagnosis will be a biopsy.  It can be via needle, or blood, and will provide the best certainty of malignancy or not.  Please try to stay calm until you complete the diagnostic process (which can be agonizingly long) and know what you are dealing with.  If you are positive for cancer please share that here as many of us survivors have a breadth of experience and knowledge we're happy to share with you.  You're not alone anymore with this.  In the meantime please take a few minutes to read up some on testing and outcomes.  You can find the articles here.

Lou

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2021 at 12:29 PM, TJM said:

I'll be contrary to the consensus of the group here. I LOVE that they must post the results in the patient portals immediately now.  If the mumbo jumbo is to hard to understand just read the impression, it's like the summary.

I just had a scan on Monday, the results were posted by the time I got back home. Good results which saved me a lot of anxiety waiting for my appointment with my Onc. Even if it had been a bad result I, personally, want to know ASAP

I always ask if they saw anything when the scan is done and they always tell me they cant discuss.

Peace

Tom

Right on Tom!!!! I look for my results every hour until they show up!!! I'll google what I don't understand but I want to know ASAP!!