Scanziety - a little higher this time

Deb W

Hi Tom,

Thank you!  Wow, looks like I have work ahead.  I  have my scans done within the same hospital system, but sometimes I go to the suburban location.  Honestly, I've never had the same technician except when I go to the suburban location.  I actually went to the downtown facility for this last scan thinking that since that's where my oncologist is located it would be better and resulted faster...not so!  I do have access to all the bloodwork and scan reports on the portal.  I usually do read it to check to see if I'm in the normal range.  I'm going to do a better job at checking.

I still haven't heard from my oncologist regarding the scan report....only his nurse.  I think I'm going to wait a couple more hours and then have him paged.  I've only paged him once in the last 10 months!

3 minutes ago, GaryG said:

I changed my appointment with my oncologist to the day after I receive the radiologist report. I compare the report to the one from the previous scan and write down any questions. In the cancer center where I receive treatment , reports are always compared to previous ones. Maybe you should demand your medical team to do the same.

There are a couple of schools of thought on this. For me, I'd rather have my oncologist take first crack at the imaging and report. For instance, the last CT report I got sounded like there was progression of the cancer. I would have been freaked out till I saw my oncologist, who told me he didn't interpret the image the same way the radiologist did--the oncologist wasn't at all persuaded there was any progression. 

Sure, I think we should all be carefully reading over all our test reports, but for those of us who stress out over iffy or ambiguous reports, it might be best to let a pro review it first. 

Just my experience. 

Lexie,

I know what you mean.  When I was at my appointment my oncologist was able to view the scan and he said it looked good to him, but said we will wait for the written report.  I left the office so happy and ready to celebrate another clean scan.  So, I'm not sure what changed, but I'm on pins and needles here just waiting.

1 hour ago, LexieCat said:

There are a couple of schools of thought on this. For me, I'd rather have my oncologist take first crack at the imaging and report. For instance, the last CT report I got sounded like there was progression of the cancer. I would have been freaked out till I saw my oncologist, who told me he didn't interpret the image the same way the radiologist did--the oncologist wasn't at all persuaded there was any progression. 

Sure, I think we should all be carefully reading over all our test reports, but for those of us who stress out over iffy or ambiguous reports, it might be best to let a pro review it first. 

Just my experience. 

I am very happy with my oncologist. Oncologists are human just like radiologists. They make mistakes too. However It is up to me to verify what any member of my medical team says. Oncologists  do not explain the radiologist report item by item.  I also review my blood work with the oncologist and keep track of any deficiencies. One PA told me that the most important number in the blood report is the kidney function while the oncologist favorite number is the hemoglobin  one.

A new law was recently implemented mandating that all patient records must  be issued  to the patient and oncologists at the same time. After seeing the oncologist one day I received a phone call telling me to get on blood thinners right away. The radiologist saw blood clots in the lung that my oncologist did not. I am never taking that chance again. Of course we are all different and should do what we are comfortable with.

Deb,

Good for you for finding the error.  Let's see if it makes a material difference in diagnosis.  I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear.  Big prayers going up for you.  

Lou

Archived