Introducing myself -- hope this is in the correct place -- not computer savvy

Gail Irene

I'm a 67 year old female.  I was a heavy smoker years back.  Quit 35 years ago.  Recently went for a self initiated CT Chest Scan since my smoking history has always been in the back of my mind.  After 6 weeks of endless appointments, final diagnosis was Stage 2B with spread to 1 node.  Had a lobectomy and will be doing chemo, hopefully starting in mid to late April.  Haven't met with oncologist yet.  I live in Canada and the medical system is not as efficient as in the US.  Just starting to research what my diagnosis really means - survival rates... -- and totally, totally scared.

Hi, Gail,

Yup, this is where to post for the first post! You REALLY don't need to be reading survival stats. First, the patients they are talking about were all diagnosed more than five years ago (because they look at 5-year survival) and tons of new discoveries and treatments have come along in the past five years. They also represent AVERAGES, which means even then, a lot of people lived past (sometimes WAY past) the 5-year mark. We've got people here on these forums 15-20 years out from advanced cancer diagnoses. So all you will do is freak yourself out if you read those stats online.

If you haven't met with oncologist yet, you probably don't know yet what kind of chemo you'll be getting. Once you know, people here on similar treatment can give you advice/pointers. Do you know if your samples have been sent out for molecular testing? I'd push for that. That testing may  show that you have a targetable mutation, which can sometimes be treated more easily (and with fewer side effects) with targeted therapy, rather than chemo. 

You definitely want to keep up with regular scans--lung cancer does have a nasty tendency to come back (mine did). But the sooner they jump on any recurrence the better. I'm doing well with my treatment for now, and the cancer is almost completely gone.

Glad you found us--this is a great place for information and support.        

Hey Gail,

It appears as if we're  in the same boat. I had a lobectomy as well (right lower lobe) and that surgery sent me from a 1a to a 3a after they found those two little uncooperative lymph nodes. After considerable more scans they did not find any cancer mass anywhere else, but (and thats a big but) that does not mean that there isn't some little mean cells roaming around looking for a home. Therefore I will start 4 rounds of chemotherapy on 4/5 to be followed by more scans and maybe even some radiation to boot. 

Lexicat is right...don't go by the stats on the internet...they do not take into account today's treatments at all. I do advise you to do your due diligence and learn all you can...that way you can stay on top of your treatment, know what questions to ask and feel as if you have some semblance of control. 

And LexieCat is right again when she states to continue getting scans from here on out. My team is insisting I get scans every three months after treatment for some time to come. The sooner you catch any possible new things that don't belong there, the easier they are to treat. 

May your future be bright and keep us all informed...we will help if we can.

Gail,

Welcome!

Totally scared is unfortunately a pretty typical state for newly diagnosed folks with lung cancer. I was undone!

Stage 2B with a lobectomy and adjuvant chemotherapy is in line with treatment in the states. We however normally get to know an oncologist in our diagnostic cycle. Lexie's advice about survival statistics is well made. Besides the 5-year data record, there is no information captured on general medical condition, co-morbidities, and often no autopsy to attribute a cause of death. So the data record is outdated and the data analyzed is not complete.

Here is some information to help you understanding what your diagnosis means. Give it a read and if you have questions, this is an idea forum.

Stay the course.

Tom

So happy that you took it upon yourself to have a screening and that your cancer was found at an early stage.  I never met the criteria for a screening and never had any warning or symptoms and by the time mine was found it was Stage IV!   Happily with all the new treatments and Immunotherapy (my life saver) I will be celebrating my 6th Cancerversary next week and I am very happy to also be NED!  (No Evidence of Disease).  There are many more of us every year -- Stage IV Survivors living with Lung Cancer!  I wish you the very best and hope you too will do well!

~ Lisa

Archived