Power Port Redness

GramaA

Hope this is the right forum to ask this...sorry if it’s not.

I had a Power Port put in 5 days ago. Is it normal for the incision (mostly above) to be a red? It went from purple to dark red to lighter red. There’s no heat or swelling. I certainly don’t want an infection to start festering! Being Saturday, I’d hate to bother my dr. I’m concerned but not crazy worried. (But y’all should know I’m a worry wart! LOL) Would just love to hear some thoughts. Thanks! 

A~

Unless it looks really inflamed/hot, I wouldn't worry. Mine is still reddish-pink almost 7 months after implantation. If you're concerned, keep an eye on your temperature. 

Welcome, GramaA. After my port was placed, I found that I was allergic to the adhesive on the Steri-Strips, and the area was red and blistered and itched like crazy. Couldn't wait for them to come off. I used Benadryl anti-itch cream and it worked pretty well. The incision itself was fine and healed nicely. Hope yours does too. 

Thank, Judy. Sorry you went thru that. I’ll bet it was really uncomfortable! Thank goodness it wasn’t infected. Knowing that someone else had ‘redness’ w/out infection give me some peace....well, you know what I mean! LOL Again, sorry you went thru that. 

My incision has dissolvable stitches and a glue over the incision. I just can’t imagine why it’s red when I don’t have any other symptoms. Praying I get to Monday w/out any problems. I’ll be at the dr office bright and early that morning so they’ll be able to tell me if it’s ok. 

Hugs,

A~

LexieCat,

Thank you for your reply! That puts my mind at ease a lot! I’m such a ‘scaredy cat’ (I just had to! 😄)! I’ll def keep an eye on my temp. 

Hugs,

A~

It appears as if we are somewhat on the same wavelength here but with a few significant differences... I had a port installed on 3/24 and I start a four course Carbo/Alimta regimen on 4/5 as well. My courses set three weeks apart like yours are a follow up after original surgery to remove my RLL on 2/25 and your triplet chemotherapy apparently is a follow up for recurrence. 

I'm just one more person to tell you that from what it sounds your port installation seems fine. The things to watch for are swelling, oozing, redness, pain, fever, etc. The Dr.'s told me those things could indicate possible infection. A little redness with nothing else is not a big thing...I had a rainbow of colors (bruising) after my port installation and that is slowly in the process of going away.

As to Keytruda side effects I can't firsthand say, but from what those on here state, there dosen't seem to be a lot of side effects at all. OK, on very minor occasion maybe but it is rare.

I wish you the best with all you need to do, but I have every belief we'll both be fine. Keep the faith!!

Thank you, Jesse L. 

The more I hear it’s nothing to worry about, the more I relax! 

I will be keeping you in my prayers that the regimen will get rid of your cancer for good. Wow...you’re not far from you surgery. I hope you’re feeling well. I had a thoracotomy, that went well, but left me with nerve damage that took months to heal. I couldn’t lay on my left side for at least 7 months after surgery. 

Take care! And yes...I’m keeping the faith! I have never been closer to God than this season in my life. 

Much love,

A~

Yes, from what my Dr.'s tell me they want to stay on it and wipe out any last little vestige of a bad cell that may be hanging around asap. And while I am all for that, it's been a struggle to catch a break...

Oh, and believe me I do have nerve damage that from what I hear will take months if ever to recover from... That was the side I loved to fall asleep on but not anymore. I'm hoping that will get better...

Keep me posted on how it's going for you and I'll do the same...take care!!

Archived