My updates (22 Years old, NSCLC)

AleHondaa

Hey all,

I've been feeling much better thankfully. All side effects from the vaccine have subsided. Mucus is still a pain in the rear but I can manage, plus I spoke to my doctor about managing it and she gave me options. Today is my second infusion so wish me luck! I have scans soon to check on the status of everything so hopefully they’ll be good. 

Ale,

Good to hear that you are improving.  You may go through this again so please remember the options your doctor gave you and any suggestions that helped you out.  Nausea is one thing I find super hard to tolerate, even more than pain.  Fingers are crossed for you that this next infusion isn't as taxing.

Lou

I am also free!! My cervical collar is officially off after it’s 2 month stay. I have a really bad ache on my neck but it’s to be expected when my muscles around my neck haven’t been used a long time period. 

Hey, great news! Glad to hear you got the collar off--I'll bet you felt a little like a puppy wearing one of those cones after surgery!

Hope the infusion went well and you get through the week after without too much difficulty. 

You're doing great!

@Judy M2 my neurosurgeon doesn’t want manipulation of my neck so no physical therapy. 

My second infusion has so far been smooth but of course life has to hit me in all the ways it can. My gf of 1 year and half decided it was best to leave me and end our relationship. Ive been destroyed the last 2 days and haven’t ate much at all. This all just feels like a big nightmare..

I'm so sorry, Ale--breakups suck. Even when I've been the one doing the breaking up, they suck. This is the time to lean on your family and other friends, including us. 

Hang in there--you'll get past this. 

Sending a hug.

Breakups suck.  I know this is not comforting right away however better now than later.  You want every one in your circle to give 100% when you need support.   We love you and will be here for you, no matter what.  

4 hours ago, AleHondaa said:

@Judy M2 my neurosurgeon doesn’t want manipulation of my neck so no physical therapy. 

My second infusion has so far been smooth but of course life has to hit me in all the ways it can. My gf of 1 year and half decided it was best to leave me and end our relationship. Ive been destroyed the last 2 days and haven’t ate much at all. This all just feels like a big nightmare..

So sorry to hear that. What to say? I would be crushed (not what you probably need to hear right now..but the truth)

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Focus on your health if you can.

Peace

Tom

Ale,

Your focus now needs to be on your recovery from this disease.  Someone who would leave you at this time wasn't anyone who would have stuck with you for the long-run.  So, while I can understand your pain, I hope your brain is saying "she wasn't the right one for me anyway".  Each of us is more than a relationship.  People that edify and add to your life are the ones you need to cultivate and enjoy.  The neglectful and uncommitted ones are best left behind.

Let's get you fully back on your feet and then you can enjoy life with some additional knowledge and experience that will benefit both you and someone you care for in the future.

Lou

Thank you all for the support. I’ve been in a very dark place these last days. I’ve reached out to a therapist for me to see about all the issues in my life. The cancer and all the stress that comes with it and this breakup that has hit me really hard. I’ll check in when I can, hope everyone is doing good. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, 

Giving an update since it’s been a minute. My mental health as taken a massive hit since my break up and it’s spiraled into more than just my break up. It’s spiraled into being stuck in my home making it feel like a prison, the cancer and all the things it’s taken away and put me through. It’s a lot that I’ve been dealing with and attempting to cope. 

Today I had labs and it showed that I’m more anemic then I was. Which explains why I had to leave work when I attempted to go back. The dizziness I had caused me to leave work early, I felt fine and it hit me out of no where. So on Monday I have to get a blood transfusion, which is a whopping 5-6 hours long. I also get scans next week to see how the chemo has affected me and I really hope for a good sign, that anxiety has been hitting me the closer it gets.

I really just want to return to a normal life.. or somewhat normal with what I have. I really feel like I hit rock bottom with everything that’s been going on. I needed to vent somewhere, I hope everyone has been okay and has had good news come towards them. ❤️

Blood transfusions are verrry slow. I hope you feel better afterward. 

As an AYA (Adolescents and Young Adults with cancer), you may find some of the resources within the links below helpful. You shouldn't be isolated during these awful times. 

https://www.cancer.gov/types/aya

https://www.dana-farber.org/for-patients-and-families/care-and-treatment/support-services-and-amenities/young-adult-program/related-websites/

Take care, Ale. 

Now is the time you need to stay strong.  While this is surely a dark and terrible time for you it will pass; they always do.  There will be better and brighter days when things will be and feel better to you and for you.  Hang on and keep looking to the future.  I just went through a couple of pretty rough days and though I dreaded going through them they are now in the past.  Longer times are surely more difficult, but you'll be through them.  So, hang on, stay strong and believe that there is a future.  Don't live in the past as that can be depressing and don't dread the future as that only creates anxiety.  Live now and know that things will change.

Lou

Based on my experience with my son, you will feel MUCH better after the transfusion. Wish I could offer more and hoping you HAVE hit rock bottom and things go nowhere but up.

Peace

Tom

Hey all,

I’ve been doing much better mentally. Going to therapy has helped a lot and my therapist has seen Improvements within the last week. I’ve gotten back into my main hobby which is building my project car and it’s brought me happiness. 

In other news my scans where yesterday and most likely will be told the results today. I’m very nervous of the results but I know in my gut I’m due for good news so let’s hope for something good from the treatments. My 3rd infusion is today as well, after this one more left before I’m just left on immunotherapy. 

I want to thank y’all for being there for me when I’ve most needed it and this time I’ve hit my worst. I know I don’t post much or check the community that much either but I hope each and everyone of y’all has received good news lately. ❤️

Scan results are back.. it’s not good. There’s progression in my lung.. the main spot hasn’t changed but more spots came up. 

So I’ll be on targeted therapy now.. once it gets approved. Hopefully it does and it works.