My updates (22 Years old, NSCLC)

AleHondaa

Ale,

Sluggish and nauseous is par for the course.

I recorded the start and ending of all my side effects during my second line chemo. Side effect onset and departure was nearly the same from infusion to infusion. This allowed me to plan "near normal life" events around my chemo downtime. 

Stay the course.

Tom

Hey Guys,

So far I’ve been handling chemo way better than I thought. I barely have any nausea, I’ve been eating and I have a good amount of energy. The only thing I have is like a slight ache in my abdomen area. Is this something normal anyone has experienced? I also have a slight ache in my bones but I know that’s a side effect from neulasta. 

Are you constipated Ale? That sometimes gave me a bit of a tummy ache after infusions. If no bowel moment for 24 hours, Senekot gently helps. Of course always ask doctor/nurses. Happy things are much easier than you feared! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the thing I didn’t want is actually happening. My hair is going away, down the drain, all of it. This is really affecting me mentally now, self esteem just down the drain. I know it’s for the better and it will be coming back it’s still one of those things that consistently reminds me of what I’m fighting. My beard seems to be staying 🤷🏻‍♂️.  

Other news, I get my second dose on Tuesday then scans afterwards. I hope this is all worth it. I hope this actually does something. 

Hope everyone is well and fighting their battles with success. 

Sad Ale 😕

Ale,

Sorry to hear about the hair...but you're correct, it will grow back.  Just know that you are fighting this damned thing and you will win.  And also remember that many women find Bruce Willis very attractive.  So, even before your hair grows back you'll be able to look good.

Lou

Ale, I actually felt worse when my eyelashes fell out. I kind of expected to lose my hair. The good news is that it will grow back. Mine is a different texture (and frizzy thanks to my targeted therapy), but at least I have hair! 

Ale, when my then-22 year old daughter started losing her hair from lymphoma treatment, she opted to take the bull by the horns and shave her head before it could all fall out. She said she felt more in charge that way. FWIW

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! 

It’s been a bit so I feel as it’s time for an update. Chemo has honestly been a walk in the park. I’m gaining weight back, I have lots of energy and my hair is coming back! I finally feel like my old self again, even though it at times my life isn’t but that’s okay. I’ve been working and studying in college while facing this battle. 

However, scan results are next week and I’m very nervous. I really hope that this works in some way, I’ve been through a lot with all this and just want the good news. But I’m also very keen on not getting my hopes up unfortunately. 

So I really ask everyone to please pray and wish me good luck. I really hope everyone as been well and safe. The worlds been crazy lately, last thing some of us need with this disease. 

Much Love, 

Alejandro

Guys!

I have great news! Today will be my last chemo!! After today, I will just be on keytruda :). I’m so thankful for everything and the support I’ve received from everyone here. The fight isn’t over but it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel is approaching me.

Maintaining a good attitude and just living life day to day like it doesn’t exist is truly the key to fighting this. Everyone else that’s fighting, just keep pushing and you’ll make it! Believe me, god works miracles to those who go through his trials in life. 

Ale 🤍

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

Hope everyone’s well and had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I’ve been great health wise, nothing new has shown up and everyday I feel healthier and more energy. I’ve been hitting the gym and eating like crazy trying to gain weight back. However, my mental health has taken a decline.

I lost my job at the start of the month, been struggling with bills and watching my parents struggle while I can’t do anything about it. Past problems have come back to haunt me and I’ve lost a lot of motivation for things. I’ve fallen in a depression and it’s incredibly hard right now. I had a visit with my therapist today and she mentioned that the cause of my recent depression could maybe be the cause of me being on a treatment that’s so hard on the body for a little bit and that now that I am off of it, my mental health has been tired out from maintaining positivity for so long. She mentioned that I should ask you guys if you’ve had a similar experience when getting off chemo. Has anyone just get put in their dumps after dealing with such a harsh treatment? 

I feel like its maybe a reach since there’s so many factors to why I feel this way right now especially with the holidays but I felt like I should ask. Maybe some advice would be helpful too. Hope everyone is okay and fighting their battle to the hardest. 

Happy Holidays!

Ale

Ale,

My treatment was surgical so my period of tough side effects was short compared to so many (like you) who had more extensive and complex treatment plans.  But I do understand your feelings.  Upon diagnosis I was in shock and fell into a depression almost immediately.  Prior to treatment I was filled with anxiety, doubt, and pessimism about the future.  As I went through my post-op recovery I went into my "self-pity (why me?) mode, and harbored a deep fear of the future.  I felt disconnected from "the present", and the result was that I wasn't enjoying the life I wanted so desperately to hold on to.  Some folks on this forum shared their story with me and I realized how lucky I was to be free of the "certain death sentence" that I feared, and I learned to live each day with gratitude and even joy.  It wasn't easy to do.  I even started a daily gratitude journal and it (along with family and friends) really helped me to gain a new perspective on all the good in my life. 

I don't pretend that my answer would be yours, but you are doing so well, and I wish you could rejoice in it.  Yes, life continues to throw stones at our happiness, but at least we are here to work on overcoming our circumstances, anding find joy in the simpler things of life that we (I) often take for granted.

I'm glad you're getting help for yourself, and I'm thrilled that you are doing so well.  You will overcome this.  Keep doing the healthy physical things, and take some time to appreciate any of the good things that already exist in your life.

Lou

Ale,

I believe you've already won the battle over depression, at least compared to my experience. I ignored symptoms believing I was strong enough mentally to tough out anything. Of course, holding that belief caused a messy mental crash and burn. You've admitted the problem and admitting is 90-percent of the solution.

I wouldn't know if the biochemical aspects of treatment cause depression or if the pseudo courage of putting on a good face concerning treatment and outcomes is the cause. In fact, what causes depression is likely immaterial. Important is recognizing that it happens and investing in therapy and treatment before it becomes a quality of life condition.

I noticed a subtle change in oncology practice during my last several appointments. My doctor is asking probing questions about how I feel about lung cancer, and the vital signs screen now includes questions keyed to reveal depression tells. It is comforting to know the medical community is now recognizing the obvious: battling lung cancer is devastating to one's mental health.

My best advice? Take care of yourself. You've emerged from the mayhem of a battle over cancer to join the mayhem of life. Another job opportunity will present itself if you do the right things to seek it. Family problems will happen because all families have problems, and most importantly, you can't solve them. You can be empathetic and caring and helpful but you are not the solution. Don't try to solve the unsolvable. Stay in your lane.

One more thing. Try and narrow your focus to just the day you are living. I found dwelling on mistakes in my past and worrying about future events is a large waste of time. I can't change the past, and I can't control the future. I've learned to narrow my scope of life to the day I'm living. I look for a little bundle of joy. I don't find one every day but when I do, I revel in its discovery. There is so much joy around us and we often miss out because we are fretting about events we can't control. Live in the day and...

Stay the course.

Tom