Cataract surgery tomorrow!

BridgetO

Surgery on right eye tomorrow, on left eye in two weeks. Good vibes, well wishes, prayers, positive thoughts  are all welcome. This should be a piece of cake compared to my VATS lobectomy--at least there's no possiblity coming home with a chest tube. And the lobectomy was a piece of cake compared to my other (non-lung) cancer surgery.  I'm looking forward to an excuse to lounge around, not that I don't lounge around enyway.

Luck!!! May you have the promised great results I missed out on.  Hopefully at some point I can pursue getting that fixed--sounds like the next few weeks will be pretty busy for me.

40 minutes ago, BridgetO said:

Surgery on right eye tomorrow, on left eye in two weeks. Good vibes, well wishes, prayers, positive thoughts  are all welcome. This should be a piece of cake compared to my VATS lobectomy--at least there's no possiblity coming home with a chest tube. And the lobectomy was a piece of cake compared to my other (non-lung) cancer surgery.  I'm looking forward to an excuse to lounge around, not that I don't lounge around enyway.

Sending good vibes and blessings for a quick  uncomplicated recovery. I have no news yet but read here from time to time and send good thoughts and blessing to all that are facing hurdles. Me I am searching for a surgeon will to do VATS for me, fingers crossed I think I have found one 5hours away but I don't care.

Blessings

Maz 

53 minutes ago, Marilyn Raven said:

Sending good vibes and blessings for a quick  uncomplicated recovery. I have no news yet but read here from time to time and send good thoughts and blessing to all that are facing hurdles. Me I am searching for a surgeon will to do VATS for me, fingers crossed I think I have found one 5hours away but I don't care.

Blessings

Maz 

Good luck, Maz--keep us posted, k?

Hey BridgetO...luck to you on your cataract surgery!! I'm hoping against hope I never need to have that done. So far so good...

Keep us in the loop!!

Hey Maz...luck to you as well on your surgery too!! I had VATS surgery to remove my RLL back on 2/25. It wasn't really that bad...keep in mind that there are no nerves in your lungs, so that will not hurt at all. The only thing that really hurts at all would be the incision sites, but that's manageable and for the most part gets much better quickly. 

Hey, Bridget--how'd you make out yesterday? Let us know when you're up to it. I know that even when the surgery is completely successful it's a bit hard to see for a while. Not to mention you have so many eyedrops to use that (as described in a Funky Winkerbean strip the same week I had my surgery) you feel like you're waterboarding your eyes!

That's the other thing... I have an incredibly hard time putting anything "in" my eyes. Maybe I'm just particularly finicky that way, but I get the shivers just seeing someone put contacts in. I hope I never get cataracts...they would have put me out cold to do anything with me at all. I get nervous just thinking about it...

I had my left eye done 8 years ago (the cataract was right in the middle of my sight) and now it looks like my right eye is almost "ripe" for the same surgery.  So maybe we can all get together and have a "cataract party".  :)

Lou

• 3 weeks later...

Cataract surgery done! Thanks for all the good vibes luck and prayers sent. Second eye was done 4 days ago. All is well. Distance vision is bright and clear. I'll need reading glasses, which I knew I would. I bought some over-the-counter cheap ones, one strength for readina and another for the computer and they work fine.  I'll be getting Rx ones but not until I see my optometrist next month. Medicare pays for those.

I 'll probably need several pair, since I tend to lose everything. I never lost my old (pre-surgery) glasses because I never took them off except to swim, shower or sleep, and after 50+ years I managed to use a consistent place to put them for each activity.

Glad everything went well for you... We don't much think about our eyes until there's a problem, but when there is its got to get fixed! 

I've been really lucky in that I've had very little difficulty in my older years with my eyes. My young years however, were something else entirely. From a baby on I wore glasses until I was 15 years old and then I had surgery to correct lazy eye in my left eye. Ever since then I've not had to wear glasses at all. However, I do not have what is considered binocular vision. This means I only see out of one eye at a time, either left or right. And either eye has its "specialties" for sight. My left eye sees much better at distance and my sight goes there for anything I do at a distance. My right eye specializes in close detail to include reading and fine detail work.

That is not to state that I dont have glasses though. Every year by appointment I get my eyes checked at the VA and even though I tell them I don't really need glasses, they make sure I get a new pair every year. They tell me it's just in case I ever start wanting to wear them. 

Still glad to hear everything went well for you and I hope anyone else out there has there eye problems fixed too. Just have to able to see...👀👀👀👀!!!!

See, that's what I was looking forward to. I still struggle to see/read ANYTHING but this all has to go on the back burner till my trial is done. I think the vast majority of folks have good outcomes--I just wound up with the sort end of the scalpel on this.

Sorry to hear about your troubles in the sight arena LexieCat. It's something that folks, myself included, just don't even really think about much...being able to see without a problem. It's only when you can't that you really start to appreciate that wonder. Here's hoping you can get that taken care of as soon as you can...!

5 hours ago, LexieCat said:

See, that's what I was looking forward to. I still struggle to see/read ANYTHING but this all has to go on the back burner till my trial is done. I think the vast majority of folks have good outcomes--I just wound up with the sort end of the scalpel on this.

I know the misery of cataracts.  Had 'em in both eyes and got them taken care of.  You'll be able to take care of the normal, everyday stuff after you ACE this trial!  (And that's gonna happen!) 

download.jpg

15 hours ago, BridgetO said:

Cataract surgery done! Thanks for all the good vibes luck and prayers sent. Second eye was done 4 days ago. All is well. Distance vision is bright and clear. I'll need reading glasses, which I knew I would. I bought some over-the-counter cheap ones, one strength for readina and another for the computer and they work fine.  I'll be getting Rx ones but not until I see my optometrist next month. Medicare pays for those.

I 'll probably need several pair, since I tend to lose everything. I never lost my old (pre-surgery) glasses because I never took them off except to swim, shower or sleep, and after 50+ years I managed to use a consistent place to put them for each activity.

Glad everything went well for you, Bridget!

Thanks everybody! LexiCat. sorry that your eye is still a problem. It's not like you don't have anything else to be concerned about right now.

Jesse, I also don't have binocular vision, same reason as you. My surgery was at about age 7.

I suffered a retinal detachment in my right eye a couple of years ago. Had a vitrectomy, gas bubble, laser and cryo surgeries. Then a cataract formed and after that was fixed I had to have a Yag Laser done to open the lens.... and although I have some sight back, it is poor. But I am thankful and don't take vision for granted anymore.

17 hours ago, Sandy N said:

I know the misery of cataracts.  Had 'em in both eyes and got them taken care of.  You'll be able to take care of the normal, everyday stuff after you ACE this trial!  (And that's gonna happen!) 

I didn't even know I HAD cataracts till my ophthalmologist recommended removal. I did, and my vision is MUCH worse than it was before surgery. The cataracts weren't the problem--it was the treatment. And I don't wanna spend hundreds of dollars for new glasses till they figure out what the problem is, but I don't have time/energy  to mess with it till the trial is done.

As long as I'm seeing good, I'm going to stick with what I've got. I've had so much work done on these eyeballs that I'm not going to go out of my way for anymore. And the work I've had done was in the bad old days of scalpel and crowbar; none of this fancy laser stuff. 

I don't blame you a bit LexieCat for holding off. It's just too bad you have to suffer with the lousy vision now. I wish you much better in the future...👀

7 hours ago, LexieCat said:

I didn't even know I HAD cataracts till my ophthalmologist recommended removal. I did, and my vision is MUCH worse than it was before surgery. The cataracts weren't the problem--it was the treatment. And I don't wanna spend hundreds of dollars for new glasses till they figure out what the problem is, but I don't have time/energy  to mess with it till the trial is done.

This really sucks Lexie. Focus on the trial tho. It's got precedent?

9 minutes ago, TJM said:

This really sucks Lexie. Focus on the trial tho. It's got precedent?

What, the trial? It's mostly been used in patients with metastatic melanoma. This trial is to see how it works for patients with advanced NSCLC. They've had a few lung cancer patients, I believe, in a basket study involving other solid tumors. I believe the one lung cancer patient my doctor (the doc running the trial) treated using this technique died of pneumonia. I forget the details, but it wasn't believed to be connected to the trial. 

Jack, you really have been through it with your eyes! I had a retinal tear, but the ophthalmologist explained it was the 'best kind of tear to have" (? !). It was fully operculated, which means that it was a little round piece that popped off cleanly, so no danger of detaching more of my retina. It's not in a central area so it's nothing I notice. I sure did notice when it popped off, though. I suddenly saw spiky  black zigzags that looked like giant insect legs or black lightning. Doc said it was blood inside my eye. 

Eyes are such complicated things. It's amazing that they work at all!

Archived