Port Flushes

Judy M2

I didn't realize that you should have your port flushed every 8 weeks. I just had mine flushed after 16 months and luckily it was fine. Just an FYI for port maintenance! 

Thanks for the PSA, Judy. I knew that, and it's one more reason I b*tch (lol, the forums keeps changing it to "witch," which makes no sense) when they refuse to access my  port for blood draws or contrast. They claim there's heightened risk because the port goes straight to your heart, but going directly into a vein gets to the heart, anyway. To me, it's ridiculous to suffer through IVs when you've got a port and then you have to make a special trip, anyway, to flush the port. *smh*

Penn seems to have no issue with it, but MD Anderson-Cooper does. I had to get my doc to write an order to use the port for my surgery on Friday.

I am horrible. So glad you posted this.

I was just thinking it's been months since I had mine flushed...and my main onc nurse scares me!

Seriously. I need to get mine flushed! Thank you

Peace

Tom

I was given an hour long lecture about the port when I had it installed and they were very clear on many fine points:

1. Only skilled medical professionals may use the port... everywhere I've gone so far to include the ER has used my port, but then it was told to me at that same ER that not all medical professionals are trained in its use nor are certified to do so. I had no idea it took a certification to be able to use it...seemed pretty straightforward to me?! It just so happened that my ER nurse was an oncology nurse at one time and therefore she knew how to use it. When she did so however, she did admit that her certification had run out, but she accessed the port with no problems anyway. 

2. The port works very well both ways... The caveat is that that there is a process in the use of the port. I suppose that's where the training in its use comes into play. Yes, there is flushing going on and more than once in either a draw or an infusion. 

3. The port must be flushed every six to eight weeks whether it is used for any other purpose or not. I've had some places say six weeks and others say eight weeks. I guess just know that it has to happen...

4. The average time that any one person has a port is two years. I would have thought that would be longer, but I guess that is not so. No reasons were given for port removal other than it was no longer needed. 

That's all I know... 

Archived