Two Years

VickiP

Hi.  My name is Vicki.  I am 71 and have two adult children and 5 grandchildren.  I have a long time partner who has been my caretaker.  I quit smoking over 35 years ago, still run several miles a week and do yoga.  I am retired  except that I teach online a little.  I was diagnosed with Stage 4 NSCLC in April 2019.   I had a tumor on my lung and a spot on my liver.   My doctor started me on chemotherapy and immunotherapy at first.  We stopped the chemo and continued Immunotherapy after my first scan showed no sign of cancer.  It is been more than two years now and I still feel great.   I get an infusion of immunotherapy every three weeks and a scan every three months.  There hasn't been a decision on how long this course will continue.  I was in a daze over everything (COVID too) and just now am waking up and exploring questions.  I want to connect and figure out where things go from here.  

Hi, Vicki, and welcome! Wow, sounds like you're doing GREAT. I started off on my Stage IV diagnosis (had surgery for Ib four years ago) with chemo and immunotherapy, and after a great (but brief) initial response, the cancer started to progress, so I'm now starting a clinical trial. There are quite a few long-term survivors here. 

I love this group--they have seen me though everything since I was first diagnosed four years ago. It's a great place for information and support.

Thanks LexieCat.   During the period of diagnosis testing, etc. I got sick and was hospitalized for a week or so.   I think my family thought I was dying and my doctor decided to go ahead anyway and start the chemo and immuno. while I was still in the hospital.   It was a wild whirl.   But then three months later I was better.   Anyway, I looked through this forum and felt it was full of people who understand and it made me smile.   I feel a mixture of odd guilt that I feel fine and the foggy knowledge that the next scan may (probably?) show a recurrence.   Anyway thanks.   I guess I am supposed to go to a separate forum now.  

Hi Vicki, it does sound like you're doing great. I'm 6 months behind you (diagnosed in October 2019), and I was also hospitalized, after treatments ended. Last year was miserable between side effects and an extended recovery, but I'm out on the other side now and doing well on a targeted therapy. I think we're always aware that there can be progression, but I just live for each day. I can't control the future so I don't worry about it. 

Welcome and ask any questions. There is an Immunotherapy section if you have specific questions about your treatment. 

Thanks.   Good advice about things we can't control.   I will remember when I start to stray into the "what if..." world.  

Vicki,

Welcome to our forum, it's great to have you here with us.  You recent recovery and NED(No Evidence of Disease) is a really great and exciting story and I'm happpy to hear it.  Share as you wish, ask all the questions you may have and feel free to jump in and share your experiences with others who come here.  

Lou

Thanks LouT.   Now I know what NED means.   I thought I knew some cancer language but I realize that there are many that I have never heard.  

Hi and welcome from me, too!  Please don't feel any "odd guilt" on our account. We looooove to hear stories of treament success.  They help keep hope alive.

Bridget O

Archived