Recently diagnosed with (possibly) BAC

Priscilla

Hi, I’m 45 and I have a left nodule on my left upper lobe, which has been diagnosed as most likely a Bronchioloalveolar carcinoma. I am having a lobectomy - VATS- of that upper left lobe next week.  Everything has been a blur and I have not had time to stop to think or let this sink in... I did get a second opinion- actually even a third, as I sought alternate treatments... but lobectomy is the only path for me.  My main concern is the survival rate I am seeing on studies. 5 years?! I am a single mom to a 4 year old and it breaks my heart to have to leave her even in 10 years. 😭  After surgery, how do I change my life to ensure I get the most years possible? I’ve always been a healthy and athletic person and that did not matter.  If I need to move to the middle of nowhere to get better air quality and less pollutants, organic food, etc., I’ll do it. I just don’t know anything about surviving after a lobectomy.  Thanks I’m advance! Virtual hugs to all of you. 

Hi, Priscilla, and welcome. I've been dealing with lung cancer for four years and I'd never heard the term "bronchioloalveolar carcinoma." I googled it and according to this article, anyway, the term is rarely used anymore and in fact it's just a form of adenocarcinoma. https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-is-bac-bronchioloalveolar-carcinoma-2249362 It seems to describe the location/appearance, rather than a separate type of cancer.

Adenocarcinoma (which probably can't be confirmed until your lobectomy--only a biopsy can say for sure what type of cancer) is the most common kind of lung cancer--my surgeon called it "garden variety." There are a lot of good treatments available, and depending on the stage they give you, surgery MIGHT be the only treatment you need.

I had a VATS lobectomy four years ago and its a SUPER simple procedure, as surgeries go. Three tiny incisions in your back/side and that's it. One of our members, Lou, put together this list of tips and tricks for surgery: https://forums.lungevity.org/topic/47249-thoracic-surgery-tips-and-tricks/. Seriously--my C-section hurt worse, and for longer, than my lung surgery. I noticed almost no change in my breathing capacity and I was out with friends to dinner and a concert a week after I was out of the hospital

Even though the hope is that surgery (sometimes with adjuvant chemotherapy) will cure your lung cancer, this disease is very tricky. Mine recurred in the other lung three years later. So you do need to stay on top of post-surgery scans.

That said, though, we have members here who are 15-20 years out from an ADVANCED lung cancer diagnosis. The stats you read on survival aren't particularly helpful in predicting how long anyone will survive after this thing. All the stats talk about 5-year survival rates, which means they are all counting people diagnosed more than five years ago. There is more research and new treatments all the time. More and more, even advanced lung cancer can be treated like any other chronic health problem (e.g., diabetes or heart disease). And for early-stage cancers, as I said, you might never need any other treatment. 

I understand it's especially scary when you have a young child, but there's a very good chance you will be around for years/decades to come.

Glad you found us--this is a great place for information and support.

Priscilla,

Welcome here. First, know that I was diagnosed in 2004, had surgery to remove my right lung, two further surgeries to repair sutures, and lots of chemotherapy and radiation. Bottom line: if I can live (and thrive) so can you. Here are my tips and tricks for surviving your diagnosis. 

First a word on searching Dr. Google for survival statistics. Understand survival statistics is a 5-year running average and in the last 3 years we've seen dramatic advancements in treatment and survival rates. So the statistics are not reflective of our new treatment reality. Moreover, cancer survival statistics are problematic. The data set on individuals is incomplete so prediction is not very accurate. Like statistics? Here is my "review" of cancer survival statistics.

Second, let's get ready for surgery. One of our members, LouT, published a very complete list of things to do to get ready for surgery and recovery. Here's the link. After surgery, does one need to make radical lifestyle changes to enhance survival? No. You may have chemotherapy after you heal up. This is termed adjuvant chemotherapy, and it sweeps the blood stream and lymphatic system of loose cancer cells. A medical oncologist would order that treatment. I do hope you've had a consultation with a medical oncologist. There may be some pain after surgery but that quickly dissipates. My wife and I have gone on 6 Transatlantic European vacation cruises and a Baltic Sea cruise after my surgery and treatment, and although I can't run very far, my life is near normal.  I think you should expect the same after surgery. A surgical treatment implies an early find and a very good chance of no evidence of disease (NED). That is our objective and there is no reason in the world why you shouldn't achieve NED.

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom, thank yo uso very much for your reply and sharing your story and the great advice.  I truly appreciate it! my pulmonologist referred me to a thoracic surgeon who specializes in lung cancer, I spoke with a different thoracic surgeon and finally with a radiation oncologist and they all said lobectomy was the best for me.  I really haven’t had a conversation with an oncologist on what to expect- I think the doctors are waiting to see what the pathology after they remove it... the uncertainty is also a factor in my worries.  Again thanks for sharing all the links with me. I have some reading to do :) & I will try to stay off Dr. Google ;) .  Virtual hug. 

Hi Priscilla and welcome,

Lobectomy is the gold standard for lung cancer treatment.  I had a lower right lobectomy 4-1/2  ago and I have no evidence of disease (NED) since then. As Lexiecat says, VATS lobectomy is pretty easy as surgery goes. After your surgery and pathology is done, you'll learn what, if any, additional treatment is necessary. 

Let us know what questions you have and how we can support you. That's what we're here for.

Bridget O

Welcome.

You've already gotten great advice. I just want to comment on the 5 year thing.

For a very long time a 5 year survival was considered cured. I don't think it is anymore, but 5 years in clinical speak is fantastic!

Hoping the VATS goes well and the cancer is indeed adenocarcinoma. 

Keep us informed. You have everyone rooting for you...including tons of "lurkers" who are too shy to post!

Peace

Tom

Priscilla,

Let me join the family (belatedly) to welcome you to the group.  You'll find information here that is hard to find via Dr. Google.  All are personal experiences or deep knowledge gained during treatment.  You've already been given some great reading.  Take time to digest it...breathe easier than you feel you can...take everything one step at a time.  The surgery you're describing will be easier than you think.  For me it was a total shock how right the people on this forum were about the experience.  Stay positive, the human body likes ...endorphins and check in here often...ask questions of everyone; your medical team, us here and anywhere you go for treatment.  I've learned that we all need to become the experts on our particular case and situation.

You've got a super group of people here and know that you won't be alone.

Lou

Archived