Vegan/Raw Diet?

KarenR

Has anyone switched to a vegan or raw diet and found it helpful to reduce tumors? I have been a vegetarian for a number of years snd have recently gone vegan with mostly, raw fruits and vegetables and freshly made juices. 
Also any positive experience with other alternative therapies, oils, reiki, acupuncture etc.

Thank you.

Best,

Karen

Hi Karen,

I don't believe there is any evidence that being vegan or vegetarian will help to reduce or eliminate tumors.  Of course a healthy diet is important when your body is fighting off any disease or even the side effects of chemotherapy, but most times doctors will be focused on keeping your calories up to a level where your body has the proper energy to fight and where your weight is maintained.  Michelle, one of our members, is into a very healthy diet and I have no doubt that she will chime in on this topic.  

Lou

When I had esophagitis I saw an integrative medicine doctor for acupuncture who works with my oncologist. She was focusing on inflammation and my esophageal pain. Each session was very  relaxing. Unfortunately, I had to stop going due to abdominal surgery and then Covid. I'd do it again though. 

I don't follow any particular diet, just try to avoid sugar to maintain normal blood sugar. 

"Alternative" therapies imply something that is used in place of treatments approved by medical science. Some people integrate other kinds of treatments/therapies into their regular cancer treatment. Anything involving supplements should definitely be run by your oncologist--some actually work against cancer treatment. For instance, my oncologist told me to cut out fish oil and Vitamin C (which is suspected to enhance tumor growth). As far as vegan/vegetarian diets go, whatever you like, but I wouldn't count on its doing anything to fight cancer. Eat healthy, be sure you are getting enough calories, and you should be good in the diet department.

Lexie’s comments are well made. 

There is a thin line between “integrated” and “alternative” “treatments. The former may help you feel better while the latter are scams. Neither are curative.

I’m perhaps too sensitive on this point for I know 3 people with lung cancer who chose “alternative” “care” at great expense only to perish quickly. As Lou says, a good diet is a good idea but starting a diet while in treatment may not be the best idea. One’s body needs calories to replenish red and white blood cells diminished by treatment. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

I had accupuncture regularly during my treaments for 3 different primary cancers, during most of that time twice a week. I found it helpful for nausea from chemo and also for stress. My naturopath recommended an anti-inflammatory diet, but she advised not making any dietary changes during my active cancer treatment. BTW, I followed the anti-inflammatory diet for a year and felt very good both physically and mentally- no colds, no allergy symptoms, increased energy. THEN  I took a trip to Italy, where I gave in to inflammatory foods. Pasta, bread, cheese and tomatoes overcame my best intentions-- oh and chocolate gelato with whipped cream. 

Hello Karen 

Michelle here.  Like some of the others, I’ve invested quite a large sum of money in integrative medicine.  The diet recommended to me was Andrew Weill MD’s anti inflammatory diet.  This includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, and a few others.  Juicing is not recommended as there is too much fiber lost from the whole food to support a diverse microbiome.  There’s increasing evidence that a healthy microbiome does help to improve lung cancer outcomes.  

I diffuse organic essential oils for one hour at bed time- a combo of lavender Frankincense & orange.   I’ve been doing weekly acupuncture to address the side effects of my targeted therapy as well.  

I try and walk every day, and have taken up Qi Gong/Tai Chi to help improve my lung functioning.  It’s been almost three years for me now and so far I’m blessed to be doing well.  

Archived