Question about oncologist office/ Mayo clinic

Nav

My 81 year old dad was diagnosed with pulmonary nodules in the lung and a 10cm mass in left lung by the ER. They did a bone scan, CT scan and biopsy of the left lung . They kept him in the hospital for 3 days for pericardial effusion and released us with a diagnosis of Magilnant focal spindle cell  of lung and said to make an appointment within 1 week with the oncologist who saw him in the hospital. When we called for the appointment they said they have sent the result to Mayo Clinic for 2nd opinion and it’s been 2 weeks and the oncologist just keeps  saying waiting for results from Mayo Clinic. 
Are they ignoring us ? We feel like they want us to go away and the oncologist is not doing any consultation either without Mayo Clinic results. Is this normal or they are just telling us to go away without being upfront about what to do next.. we are so confused.. do oncologists play games.. sorry this is all new to us.. we are overwhelmed.. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis.  First, I want to share Lung Cancer 101 with you so you can see the steps to a lung cancer diagnosis.  It can take a little while from the time a mass is spotted until an actual confirmation diagnsosis: https://lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/lung-cancer-101

It is good to be proactive and an advocate, but sometimes it does take a little time for the lab results to come back.  Do you have a nurse navigator or someone you can check in with and will keep you updated?

Nav,

Welcome to our forums.  The "Cancer 101" Kristin sent you is a valuable piece of information.  In the meantime it is normal for the doctors to want to gather all the information they can...CT Scans, PET Scans, bloodwork, biopsies and genetic testing; before they can make an accurate diagnosis.  Please don't take it as them not caring, but rather them understanding the importance of getting all the data before they confirm the diagnosis as well as the extent and type of the cancer.  This is normal at this time.  Please keep us informed once you get the results and ask any questions you'd like here.  

Lou

Do the oncologist manage your symptoms related to the new diagnosis while waiting for test results. We are thankful they are taking their time to assess the right medication however who manages the symptoms such as wet productive cough and chest tightness probably due to his current diagnosis? 

Does he have a pulmonologist? They are the experts on anything lung-related and might be able to treat those symptoms. I'd try to get a referral if he doesn't have one.

I can both feel your frustration and understand it. I have come to the conclusion that I am the Captain and if I dont feel like I'm being treated correctly I become a pain in the *ss.

Do you have good insurance? Could insurance be a potential cause?

Peace

Tom

Archived