Jump to content

Shortness of breath with lung ca/ COPD


Nav

Recommended Posts

My dad is discharged from the hospital with  diagnosis of 10 cm lung mass by the hospital oncologist after doing bone scan, CT scan and lung needle biopsy. We are waiting for results which were sent to Mayo Clinic by them for second opinion. In the meantime, since the discharge we have been given hospice care for comfort and support while results come. My dad has really bad shortness of breath and shortness of breath with tiny bit of exertion. We have started him on 5mg morphine as per hospice for Shortness of breath however morphine effects on shortness of breath lasts for an hour or so. How is extreme SOB managed in Lung ca patients other than morphine? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Call the hospice nurse or NP with this question. Ask for a visit even if it's not scheduled. Continue supplemental oxygen as prescribed. Lean on hospice while they are providing services.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nav,

Sorry to hear about your father's condition.  This is such a tough time for him and the rest of the family.  On to your question;  there are many ways to address SOB from cancer, but it depends on what is going on at the time.  For example, if there was a lung inflammation they might use a steroid to reduce the inflammation and restore more normal breathing.  Other times it may be O2 or some other med, but at this point your father is just going through the diganostic process and they'll need to determine the exact cause for the shortness of breath and then they can decide on the best treatment.  Hospice can help you with the O2 and such, so please rely on them right now.  Once your dad's medical team has all the data they will set a protocol for his treatment and SOB will be big on that list.  

I wish you all luck and good results as you go down this road.  

Lou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would go to the ER. Be smart about when you go. When my Dad had severe issues near the end I ended up taking him to an ER. But first I drove down, explained the situation and asked the best time to come in. They told me in the morning. So waited 8 hours and took him in. He was seen immediately.

Good luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the thing, Tom. Nav's dad is currently under hospice care. I'm not sure the hospital will treat him at this time. Hospice would direct his care. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had to take him to the ER yesterday as he had a lot of fluid build up in his lungs may be due to the newly diagnosed ca. He has been diagnosed with a rare type of cancer. Glomus Tumor . We are trying to find a place where they treat rare cancers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Judy M2 said:

Here's the thing, Tom. Nav's dad is currently under hospice care. I'm not sure the hospital will treat him at this time. Hospice would direct his care. 

I dont think they have a choice. My friend whose husband just passed was on hospice and still spent numerous days at the ER because of complications. Plus, you cannot be forced into hospice unless something changed. Just a thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nav,

I was reading up on Glomus and it looks like it has only been diagnosed 4 times previously...(according to NIH: National Library of Medicine).  I have no real detail on this, but am interested in hearing what you uncover.  It is so rare though that you may have somewhat of a challenge finding a place that specializes in it.  

Lou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LouT, 

Yes the local hospital we initially took my dad to had to send it to Mayo Clinic for second opinion. The hospital he is currently admitted at due to declining condition as the Mass in lung and the metastasis all over causing respiratory distress. He is currently in ICU on a ventilator due to cancer associated complications and they are asking to make a decision if the breathing trials fails. All this has happened in the matter of month. From diagnosis to ventilator now. We are all shocked and heart broken as soon we have to make the decision of letting him go. We are told by our local hospital there is no treatment available. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nav,

My heart hurts for what you and your family are going through.  I just hope and pray that you, your dad and family find some peace in all this sadness.

Lou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...