Concerned About Father's CT Scan Results

Ant

I have been reading through the site and the forum for hours.  It has truly helped me educate myself on what is going on with my dad.  I was hoping that the experiences you've all had will help further clarify what I expect is happening.

My dad is 68 and has been a smoker all of his life up until last May.  On a recent CT Scan he go the following results:

-  11mm module in the superior segment of the left lower lobe, with some peripheral tear is extending towards the peripheral pleural surface, previously measured at 9mm in April 2021 and not seen in November 2020.

- 8 mm subpleural left lower lobe nodule, new.

- 6 mm subpleural left lower lobe nodule, new.

Additionally:

-  The mediastinal structures are otherwise normal. No mediastinal or axillary lymphadenopathy.

I know that nodules are very common and are most often than not benign, but the fairly rapid growth of this one in less than two months has me all but convinced that this is cancer.  The Dr. has recommended a CT-guided needle biopsy so I feel like that confirms my suspicions.

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  I have been feeling sick to my stomach ever since I was told about this.

Take a deep breath. All of these are small..but concerning. What does the onc think? Are the nodules in the same lung? (Looks like they are). If so, surgery may be a viable option.

You have plenty of time for diagnosis, so try not to freak too much.

I have (had) large cell stage 3. Lobectomy followed by chemo and radiation. 18 months NED.

Keep us posted

Peace

Tom

I agree with Tom. They are concerning, but seem to be concentrated in the one lobe. Lobectomy is relatively simple surgery, and if these do turn out to be cancer, it might be easy to treat. One step at a time.

Ant,

This disease can be overwhelming.  One of our members wrote a great piece called "10 Steps to Surviving Lung Cancer; by a Survivor" and it can be found here.  There is a lot of good information here that you can leverage to get through this stage (and others) as you go through this process.  If it does turn out that your father's medical team recommends surgery, then we have a lot more information that can help you and your dad specifically.  Stay focused, ask a lot of questions and make sure you understand the answers.  As you get more information please come back and share it here so we can share like experiences with you.

Lou

Hi Ant,

Lung cancer and diagnosing lung cancer can be very overwhelming.  I just wanted to share Lung Cancer 101 with you. It is filled with information that might be helpful to you. https://lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/lung-cancer-101 Please keep us updated.  Thinking of you and your dad!

Thank you all for your responses and the information you've directed me to!

This site has given me at least a little hope - I will provide updates as we get more info.

Archived