NEW AND LOOKING FOR INFO

Hello all! Doctors found a 1.3cm nodule on upper right lobe will be having a lobectomy in a few days and was wondering what I should expect after.

Barb,

Welcome here.

Was the discovered nodule biopsied or will a biopsy be performed in conjunction with your lobectomy? A biopsy is the only way a lung cancer diagnosis can be made so if the nodule is benign, you should expect to heal quickly from the procedure and go on with life. Here are some tips and tricks by LouT for preparing for lung surgery.

If the biopsy shows cancer, it is important to have the specimen sent out for follow-on biomarker testing. Lung cancer has a nasty habit of recurring and it would be beneficial to know if your type of cancer might respond to new and effective Targeted Treatment or Immunotherapy. While follow-on testing common these days, it is not universal. Tell your doctor you'd like your tumor tested.

Depending on what the surgeon sees, the histology examination of the nodule, or results of pre-surgical scans, you might need to have adjuvant chemotherapy after surgery. If your cancer stages at IA or IB, adjuvant therapy is not generally needed. At higher stages, however, it is recommended. Adjuvant treatment sweeps the blood and lymphatic systems of stray cancer cells thus warding off a recurrence.

Read into the links on biomarker testing and surgery tips and tricks and if you have further questions, ask away.

Stay the course.

Tom

Welcome....with your feet running!

So you've got 5 days to get prepped. Nothing to it (truely).

You must have questions so ask. If too shy for that maybe Lue or Lexie or Tom or Rower..or....could attach a few links. (I havent figured out how from my phone. Someone will get you the pre surgery checklist as well as some tips to make it all go smoothly.

Here's to a one and done surgery!

Peace

Tom

Hi Barb and welcome. Tom has given you some great information. Lou's tips (which Tom linked) should be really helpful. I especially recommend getting a wedge pillow. It will help you sleep and breath better after surgery. Will your surgery be VATS (video assisted)?.

I had a lobectomy by VATS almost 5 years ago and it was pretty easy, as surgery goes. If you have specific questions, I''ll be happy to answer if I can. 

Bridget O

Barb,

The information Tom provided will help you out greatly in understanding about the importance of biomarker testing as well as the Tips and Tricks for Thoracic Surgery.   You'll find great information there.  I also had a lobectomy and I can tell you I had a worse time when they removed my gall bladder.  Many here had surgical intervention and will likely say that it was easier than thought it would be.  But again those "tips and tricks" will offer a lot of good information for you to get through this as easily as possible.  

After reading the material please feel free to come back here and ask any questions you may have.

Lou

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 3:46 AM, BarbSB2021 said:

Hello all! Doctors found a 1.3cm nodule on upper right lobe will be having a lobectomy in a few days and was wondering what I should expect after.

Hi Barb

I'm a newbie too, so look forward to hearing about yr progress to help educate me and others.

I seem to be absorbing so much info about lung cancer, many terms still confused about.

What I have found out is that measurements below 5cm are considered nodules and >5cm are masses and generally malignant. I say generally bc I've also read about misdiagnosed lung masses.

Mine is a 5.2cm mass so have accepted it's most likely cancer. Hope to have PET/biopsy in the next week or so to stage/grade. 

Your situation seems pretty positive to me, and I wish u luck in your treatment. Please keep us updated.

• 2 weeks later...

HI All

Had the surgery and the 1.3cm nodule was stage 1 Squamous cell  cancer which they removed in addition to the upper right lobe and several lymph nodes. Pathology was good- it had not metastasized- I won't need chemo/radiation. I will have CT scans every 6 mos for the next two years. The surgery was performed by VATS/Robotics. Surgery was Friday out of the hospital by Sunday. It took about 3 weeks to heal enough to return to work. 

Barb,

How about that! A good news report on your surgery and all ready back to work. Good for you!

Now please recognize the importance of future scans to check for new mets. Unfortunately, the thing that makes lung cancer so dangerous is its propensity to recur after NED treatment. I've had plenty of recurrences in and believe me, you don't want to go down that path. How frequent is recurrence after NED? Here is some relevant information.

Stay the course.

Tom

• 11 months later...