Jump to content

Decisions, Decisions.


Jennedy

Recommended Posts

Today was supposed to be the 3rd round of Taxotere & Cyramza. Because of brain radiation, it was just a Zometa infusion and talk with Oncologist and Palliative care.

The recommendation was not to continue on the Taxotere because it is too hard on my body and I have new brain mets. The right side of my body has improved, but the left has gotten worse. So mixed results.

I did get get the results from the liquid biopsy... EGFR and still NSCLC.

My oncologist says they didn't work before so they probably won't now.

Lots of discussions about enjoying the time I have left, quality of life, future of hospice.

Am I wrong to not be ready to give up? 

My gut is to call the 2nd opinion from OSU, get a tissue biopsy and switch. I can't let convenience determine my life span. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Jenny,

Follow your gut on this one, there’s no harm in exploring a second opinion to determine if there is a potential clinical trial available to you.    Best to make an informed decision about continuing treatment.   In my mind, it’s not about giving up- like you I’d want the best quality of life for me and my family.  There may come a time for all of us where the treatment is worse than the disease then hospice becomes the courageous decision.   The second opinion seems like a perfectly reasonable option. Go for it. 
 

Michelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jennedy,

I would absolutely go for the 2nd opinion and NO, it’s not OK to give up if you’re even asking that question.  That’s my opinion anyway.  I’m rooting for you and please let us know how you’re doing.

 Babs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jennedy,

You can put me squarely in the "2nd Opinion" camp.  There is never anything to lose to have other eyes on the situation.  Once you're satisfied that you've gotten all the data you can and you trust its (the data) validity then you can make any decision you feel is best for you and your family.  I'm with Michelle on this.  Any of us can face this and, while I try not to dwell on it, I've often had to think through what I might do based on prognosis.  We don't ever give up...we decide what is best for us and those we love.  

Lou

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ditto here. Hey, I'm the queen of swinging for the fences, ya know? I'm so glad I did the trial I did rather than just going with a next line of treatment (which probably would have been some other stronger variety of chemo). I always say one of the keys to surviving lung cancer is to find ways to keep yourself alive till the next great discovery/treatment. And by doing clinical trials, you get first crack at those opportunities.

We're all different in what we can/are willing to tolerate, but you don't sound NEARLY ready to stop treatment, so I'd keep on with the Quest if I were you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.