possible lung cancer

TJM77

Hello everyone,

I think of may have lung cancer. I'm in my early 60's. When I breathe I can feel something in my left lung. Haven't an x-ray yet but will very soon. I've read extensively on the net about lung cancer. I have stopped all sugars, carbos and starches. Drinking green tea, eating lots of raw garlic, Vit D. I'll update once or have the x-ray. Any food suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

TJ

TJ,

Welcome here. I hope you don't have lung cancer. There are many reason why you might feel something when breathing. Moreover, an x-ray does not show early stage disease so I would encourage you ask your doctor for a CT scan. Here is information on common medical imaging used in lung cancer.

But, even a x-ray or CT image does not diagnose lung cancer; a biopsy is required to identify and classify cancer cells. Here is information on biopsies.

While a good diet is a good idea for a healthy lifestyle, diet itself cannot fight or alter any kind of cancer. For nutrition suggestions, I'd recommend a balanced diet. Here are some diet suggestions.

Do let us know the results of your x-ray and other testing.

Stay the course.

Tom

TJ,

Tom is absolutely right.  Your post reminds me of the person I used to be.  One small symptom and I could build a whole disease and outcome that would haunt me until I learned differently.  Okay, you have some symptom of "feeling something", it surely doesn't mean you have lung cancer.  And, I personally love garlic so eating that is fine, but please don't believe what you read about diet reducing and/or eliminating lung cancer (or any cancer for that matter).  You can eat healthy and take good care of yourself, and still get any host of diseases.  On the other hand my father-in-law smoked Camels and then Pall Malls starting when he was ten, drank way too much, ate anything that didn't stand up and defend itself and he lived to 92.  And he didn't die of cancer or heart disease, but of complications from a bowel obstruction surgery.  So, all the reading and thinking in the world won't tell you the real outcome of any situation.

Please take it easy.  See your doctor, pulmonologist or whoever your PCP recommends, but please stop reading the internet.  Even if you are ever found to have cancer (lung or other) the information on almost all the sites are out of date in that many of the predicted outcomes are on "5-year averages" rather than a year by year measurement based on the latest treatments and procedures available.  So, please start at the beginning; go to the doctor, explain your symptoms, get tested and then learn from the results rather than your fear or the internet.  You will be better served.

And...if you are ever diagnosed with lung cancer then come back here and you'll get great support from a group of people who have all gone through this and are survivors.  You are far from being dead or dying and you may only have muscle spasms or some other situation going on.  But, get to the facts first and give yourself a break.

Lou

Welcome TJM. We have the same initials and the same age. 

Listen to Tom G and Lou. You are a long way from a cancer diagnosis right now. Personally, I'd ask for a CAT scan, but the X ray should give you what you need.

Please let us know results.

Peace

Tom

Edit: I believe a screening CT is protocol at 60 if you have any risk factors. 

Lou, Tom and TJM,

Thank you very much for welcoming me to the forum and all the suggestions. Maybe I'm a bit over the top with my own diagnosis, hahaha.

Go for an x-ray next week. Will provide an update later.

Thanks again so much. I feel very welcomed

TJ

Archived