Ground glass opacity

Daria

Hi there, I’m 11 months post lobectomy for stage 1a adenocarcinoma. I’ve had 3 scans since then and there are 2 ground glass opacities - 2.1 cm (right lung) and 1.4 cm (left lung). I’m told they are not solid and have not changed. They will be watched closely. Does anyone have anything similar they can share their experience with me? 

Hi Daria,

This past April I was 2 years past my lobectomy after a Stage 1a diagnosis as well.  My doctors tell me that my scans are unchanged with no signs of recurrence (in other words, NED).  That doesn't mean that there aren't other nodules or other conditions they see (I was diagnosed with mild COPD as a result of years of smoking), but the other conditions have not changed.  Were the opacities you describe there before the lobectomy?  If so, you may be in the same boat as me; some other "stuff" in the lungs, but it is not cancer or an issue.  It is likely those areas were there before the surgery.  If so, and they are not changing, I would agree with the doctor to take a "wait and see" attitude. 

I realize that it is always concerning for them to see anything in our scans, but please confirm the origin of the anomalies with your doctor and he will likely make you feel more comfortable.

Lou

Thanks for your reply Lou. I’ve had the larger of the 2 since the surgery last august. The 1.4 cm was found in March but hasn’t changed . Both are non solid. My research on line has indicated the size I have are big and removal via wedge or lobectomy would be advised. Since I’ve already had a lobectomy I’m not sure that would be an option should treatment become necessary. I’ve also learned chemo is not helpful for GGOs. I just can’t seem to not worry about them. This is scary stuff for sure. Especially since I have it in both lungs. 

On 7/20/2021 at 6:12 PM, Daria said:

Hi there, I’m 11 months post lobectomy for stage 1a adenocarcinoma. I’ve had 3 scans since then and there are 2 ground glass opacities - 2.1 cm (right lung) and 1.4 cm (left lung). I’m told they are not solid and have not changed. They will be watched closely. Does anyone have anything similar they can share their experience with me? 

Close enough that one ER doc and my oncologist told me I had a recurrence. Luckily my Pulmonologist (angle) explained and showed me (to my satisfaction) that it was much more likely scar tissue.

Don't jump to conclusion (easier said than done).

Peace

Tom

Thank you Tom. I’m meeting with a pulmonologist on 8/12. Hoping for some clarity on this. What size were yours if you don’t mind my asking. 

Which one? The original mass or the scar tissue?

The cancer was 1.2 cm round in 2005 when the nodule was first found. It was 4cm x 4 cm when the operated. About the size of a lime.

Scar tissue looked way different. It was not really a shape..if that makes any sense. No new nodules 

Peace

Tom

@TJMTom if I may ask, was the 1.2cm nodule determined to be non-cancerous at that time? I thought I read you had it followed for several years. So they didn't biopsy you in 2005?

I would phrase it as "likely" not cancerous. I never had a biopsy done.

There is no question it was the same mass. I am baffled still how it all fits together. Large Cell is usually a fast grower?

Peace

Tom

I am a newbie, so forgive me if I breech etiquette.  First, thank you for sharing your stories and advice.  I am two weeks away from my 2nd CT to review 3 ground glass nodules 1.5cm in size and two noncalcified ovoid nodules 5mm in size. My neuro is doing tests for Neurosarcoidosis, and my primary ordered the chest CTs after I had an event with right sided severe stabbing pain and I could not take a full breath for a little longer than 48-hours or so. Am looking into pathways for rapid nodule diagnosis. am feeling very fatigued and have a constant low level ache on my right side.  I don’t fully understand at what point they would do a biopsy, and in southern Cali am comparing a UCLA program with a Stanford program with another program in Fullerton. So I am having some anxiety and just now beginning to understand that for many this is a multi-year process to get a diagnosis.  So again, I am casting a wide net for people’s experiences.

VL,

Welcome to the forum.  First, let me tell you that you should post this in this forum under your own heading.  This way responses can be focused on you alone and not to be confused between you and Daria.  

That said; the Neurosarcoidosis is quite a disease in itself and often can spread to various organs, but the only way to really understand what the nodules are would be via a biopsy (and that goes for either Lung Cancer or Neurosarcoidosis), so you may need to press the doctors a bit to see why that is not presently on the table.  If they are just keeping an eye on the nodules for potential LC that wouldn't be so bad as they are small and doctors often want to see if the nodules change over time.  About 60% of all nodules turn out to be benign so for that reason a doctor my choose to observe for some period before taking further action.  
But, you should sit with your doctors and explain that you want to understand what the process and timeline are as you are experiencing the discomfort as well as the anxiety of not knowing what is causing it.  Please let us know about that conversation and anything else you learn.

Lou

Agree with Lou regarding the posting.

I think your on the right path. Ground glass could be from COVID, pneumonia, past infections etc.

It should not take years to diagnose. More like months. Listen to your doctors. Sounds like you have their attention, which many times is half the battle.

Trust me. We all totally understand the misery of waiting. Here's hoping it turns out to be not cancer! We are here to help as much as possible. Keep us posted.

Peace

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 5:15 PM, Daria said:

Thank you Tom. I’m meeting with a pulmonologist on 8/12. Hoping for some clarity on this. What size were yours if you don’t mind my asking. 

Hi Daria, just wondering how you made out at the pulmonologist.  We have very similar scenarios.  At my 3rd CT scan after my lobectomy they told me there was “possible neoplasm” from a 1.3cm nodule that was now showing mild  opacity.  It was mildly increased from 1.1 to 1.3cm.  My thoracic surgeon thought it was most likely scar tissue but wanted me back in 4 months to rescan instead of the usually 6.   I then had my pulmonologist review and she concurred that she thought it was scar tissue.  So fast forward on 8/12 I had another scan and it grew another 2mm and measuring 1.5cm.  Oncologist wants me to have a PT Scan and biopsy.  I could wait another 4 months for scan but he is favoring biopsy.  I’m going to have my pulmonologist look at my scan from 8/12 and get her thoughts.

Hi Steph,

I totally understand the need for clarification in this situation.  It’s a time of uncertainty and worry.  I’d recommend not waiting if the oncologist is recommending a PET & biopsy.   It’s really the only diagnostic procedure that will yield a accurate conclusion.  The initial pathology report takes anywhere from 3-5 days.   

I started with a pulmonologist who even though he had a strong reputation at an excellent health system, still got my CT scan wrong.  Oncologists who specialize in lung cancer look at these scans all day long- they’re often better at interpreting scan results than the radiologists.   Scar tissue doesn’t grow—  please don’t wait… diagnostic procedures always take longer than we would like… let us know how you make out. 

Archived