6th day in the hospital after surgery: cardiac complications and wound bleeding

Alina

Hi, group,

Mom's surgical recovery is going well except for lots of bleeding from the tube incision (the tube was removed 3 days ago) . Doctors not recommending stitches. They prefer to leave the wound and let it leak (need change of linens 3 times per day). She is still in the hospital due to cardiac complications: AF with 5-7 sec pauses of heart. cardiac service is concerned and is watching it. Everyone on the floor loves mommy, she is just such a wonderful sweet person. has anyone had any experience with similar issues? I would appreciate it if you could share with me.

Hi Alina,

Thank you for the update.  In my case the tube was removed on the third day after surgery (the day I went home) and a stitch was put in.  I did not experience any bleeding or leaking.  The doctors likely have some reason for approach this the way they are doing.  Sorry to hear about the Afib as well.  Hopefully they get that under control so your mom can be more comfortable and get to go home.

Lou

Lou, thanks a lot for your reply. the doctor mentioned the stitch but said it will increase the risk of infection. But it is an option. is it painful to have the stitch put in? may be it makes more sense then constant bleeding 3 times a day all lines down to mattress soaking in blood. I have to decide by tomorrow

Not painful at all...they actually did it at the time they removed the tube...at this point they should do something to reduce the oozing of blood.  And I had never heard that adding a stitch could increase the potential for infection, but then my not being a doctor may account for that.  Please seek something to get this resolved.

Lou

Archived