Hi! I’m Teresa. It’s nice to meet you.

Teresa B

Hello. I am a 51 year old lady living my life in Nashville, Tennessee. I was diagnosed with stage IV adenocarcinoma of the lung in March. It has spread to my spine but luckily only one vertebrae. That’s enough as it is the source of 99% of my discomfort. 
I have been in treatment since May. First palliative radiation on my spine. Then, four rounds of chemo and alimpta with two rounds of keytruda. Now, we have dropped the cisplatin and are focusing on the targeted and immunotherapy. 
Things are looking good. There has been shrinkage. On the bright/down side, the keytruda attacked my thyroid and has caused a whole new set of issues. 
However, I am one stubborn lady and have been through more in my life than most ever experience. That includes being widowed three years ago and plunged into homelessness for a year. All of this to say, I’ve got this. I will have a better life story than it ending early due to cancer. I’ve definitely learned to fight along the way. This will and is serving me well. 
I am here to build relationships with people having a similar experience. While I have adult-ish (lol) children and a network of available friends, it is difficult to not have an actual life partner to go through this with me. So, I figure the next best thing would be someone who can relate to what is happening in my life and how I am feeling physically and emotionally. 
Thank you for allowing me to become a part of your community. I may not like how I got here but I am happy to be here in communion with you all. 
Best,

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

It’s nice to meet you too.  Let me start by saying I absolutely love your city!  My husband and I have been there a few times and will definitely be back.  

I am 63 yrs old and was diagnosed with stage 3 squamous nsclc 2 years ago.  I am currently doing a clinical trial for a new chemo drug.  I will have another scan in about 6 weeks to see if it is doing anything.  My tumor is in my mediastinum and inoperable so I did chemo/ radiation and a couple of immunotherapy drugs.  I keep having progression and here we are. 

Man, sounds like you have been through quite a bit over the last few years.  I do believe it all makes you stronger.  There are many on here that have success stories and have been living with this for many years.  Did you have surgery or any radiation? Welcome and keep us posted on your journey.

Babs

Hello from me as well Teresa,

I was also 51 at the time of my stage IV diagnosis, which was three years ago.  You seem to have an amazing resilience which will be essential in managing the road ahead.  Many of us are living with this disease over a long period of time and having the ability to navigate all the challenges is an acquired skill.   Let us know how we can support you.   You’re not alone.  
Michelle 

Hi Teresa and another welcome! Stubbonness will serve you well in dealing with lung cancer. Keep posting and let us know how we can support you.

Bridget

Hello Teresa,

Welcome to the club nobody wants to be a member of.  I worked a project that kept me in Nashville and Memphis for a number of months and loved both cities.  I think the people there were the best part of it all.  I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but as you can see you already have others with similar diagnosis and many are doing quite well.  I'll be here along with the rest of the great folks on this site and help you in any way I can.  
BTW, I do love your outlook and, like many, I believe it to be an important part of life and overcoming the challenges of this (or any other) disease.

Lou

• 4 months later...

I am so sorry to hear of such a crappy diagnosis in such a young woman.  You sound like you have been challenged and have already overcome so many obstacles, and this one just bites!  

I can understand, I'm clean and sober 18 years, a single parent scrapping by in the big apple raising a beautiful 16 year old daughter... only to be given a crappy diagnosis myself.  Those who know me ebe say G-d can't be that cruel, you've already been through enough and if your friends aren't saying it - you should be saying it to yourself.  It's not frickin fair and we know it.  But Cancer isn't fair, and tough ladies like us Can persevere.  Sounds like your with a good oncologist,, if you trust him/her, do whatever they say,,, and I hate to say it, but yes, enjoy every day.

I have to practice more, and sometimes it's hard, but everyday I say, today is the first day of the rest of your life.."  let's face it anything can happen to anyone at anytime,,, I wish I could help, I wish we lived closed, but please know you have a fan here in the NEast -- write anytime you want!

'

Archived