New oncologist

LexieCat

Next week I will have my first visit with my new oncologist, Dr. Melina Marmarelis (at Penn). I got CDs with all the imaging that was done at Cooper since my last scans at Penn and dropped them off so she could take a look before my appointment. Of course, right now there is no treatment in the works--though I will be getting my regular (every three months) infusion of Zometa (prescribed for my bone mets). Hopefully the bone mets have disappeared as a result of the TIL therapy, but I still have osteoporosis. I'll have to find out at some point if it makes sense to continue the Zometa or if I should just go back to my pre-met Boniva prescription.

Hopefully I won't need anything further in terms of oncology treatment, but I'll feel much better having a team in the wings in case I need them. 

I'll miss Dr. Bauml--I'm gonna ask the new doc if she can reach out to him to share the good results from my scan. I'm sure he'd be happy to hear about it. 

I'm not sure he'd recognize my specific lungs, necessarily. Actually, what cracked me up about that tweet was the use of emojis--it's only a matter of time before those find their way into scientific journals. As my brother noted, most photos of body parts wind up on Instagram, lol

Speaking of a small world, I saw Dr. Marmarelis on an online presentation about EGFR+ lung cancer. I can't remember if she presented with Dr. Bauml or if it was a different session (I saw 2 in 2 days). I'd be happy to have her as my oncologist. She's on Twitter, and it's well worth following her. You'll be in good hands, LexieCat! 

Oh, that's good to know! I think I saw some article she'd co-authored with Dr. Bauml. And my favorite nurse practitioner (who has been out on maternity leave through this whole trial drama) is now back at work and will be working with Dr. Marmarelis. So that's a bonus right there, as far as I'm concerned. 

Archived