Feeling old?

TBone

The people who are started college this past fall across the nation were born in 1984.

They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and probably did not know he had ever been shot.

They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.

There has been only one Pope in their lifetime.

They were 10 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.

Tianamen Square means nothing to them.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.

The statement "You sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.

They have never owned a record player.

They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.

They may have never heard of an 8 track. The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.

They have always had an answering machine.

Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV.

They have always had cable.

There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA was.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is, or know about the "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up" commercial.

Feeling old Yet? There's more:

They were born the year that Walkmen were introduced by Sony.

Roller skating has always meant inline for them.

Michael Jackson has always been white.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They have never seen Larry Bird play.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as W.W.I, W.W.II and the Civil War.

They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from. (The correct answer, by the way, is Ork)

They never heard: "Where's the beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel," or "De plane, de plane!"

They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. was.

Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not bands.

There has always been MTV.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Boy Tbone you are so right but if you take it just a few years further you will so that there is so much more that the majority of the population don't remember or know about. What about

Games that were played outside instead of in your hand on a screen. (things like tag, hide and seek and cowboys and Indians)

the biggest worry about going to school was being accepted on a team or as a cheerleader (Not who might have a gun in class)

They may not have gone to one but most people born before the 80's at least knew that drive-in-movies existed

coffee cost 25 cents and was served hot

you could get a burger for a quarter

school clothes didn't cost more than home appliances

no one told you that it was against the law to say God at school or other public places

you could go to a movie and have snacks for well under $5

you didn't have to see the name on a car to know who made it

finding something actually made in America did not take a full scale investigation

families acturally took their meals together all or most of the time

we were told to be careful and not let someone slip something in you drink because it might be a drug (very few actually went out looking for illegal drugs)

if your child misbehaved you could punish or spank them without the threat of jail

it was almost unheard of for a child to interrupt an adult conversation

tennis shoes were made of cloth and cost less than $10

a car cost less than a home not more

you went to a National Park to get away from the crowds not join them

I could go on and on but my age is obvious enough without adding other things like skates with keys and 5cent cokes in glass bottles or water that didn't come in a bottle. Need I say more? Anyone else got any thing to add for the pre 80s kids?

O.K.............if your weren't a fellow southerner, I would get you for showing me how "dated" I am. I knew what ALL of those things were! Here I was thinking I was the young, hip, up to date Mom at my girls school...........you blew that thoery!! :D:D So true though. I was playing Playstation with my 12 year old last week.........of course she was far better than me........I said "Hey, break out the Atari and I'll beat you." Of course she looked at me like I was crazy and said "Is that a new game?" Yeah right!

Angie